Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Introduction

Well, I just signed on here the other day and posted a "Howdy" on one of the threads. Thought maybe a more formal introduction might be in order.

I am a long time woodworking hobbiest but now being an empty nester with a pension, a job, and a wife with a job, I have, in the last few years, been able to afford to spread my wings, so to speak.

I've got a shop full of tailed tools, and have been in and out of the Neandering ways several times. Early on it was handplanes, the usual Bench planes, some blocks and specialty planes along with a #45 built in pieces. That one probably cost me half again as much total than if I'd just bought a complete one right off.

Here and there picked up a few more things, and then came across an old Disston D-8 rip with the thumb hole for a song at an Antique Mall. So I started researching and was hooked.

Then, of course, had to get the gear for sharpening saws and then I found myself looking at layout tools and got some of those. I think a Brace and some bits were next and a couple more planes I stumbled across in my searching, another bench, a scraper or two, and a router plane. Then a shave and a couple egg beater drills and . . .

Oh and more saws. Initially it was back saws as I was attempting to fool myself into believeing that these were simply an adjunct to my tailed tool work. But I kept coming across orphaned hand saws of all sorts of configurations that had to be rescued from the budding artists who would paint a picture of a barn on them or something.

Made a couple of new handles for a couple saws whose totes were beyond repair, and a stairsaw that I made from the blade of a saw that was beyond repair.

And then I decided that I wanted a mortice chisel or three and my searching led me to all sorts of socket chisels and others which I, of course, scarfed up.

And I now find myself spending less and less time burning electrons and more time burning calories. While I still burn a few electrons, the time spent at the bench developing and polishing hand skills is much more relaxing and fun.
    Someone said the real test of a craftsman is his ability to recover from his mistakes. I'm practicing real hard for that test.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome Jerry,
    Glad to have you in the Creek. Geat folks here
    Electrons or not we love the new age tech. of digital pictures!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Welcome Jerry!!

I feel I'm in the infant stages of your story....Need a good bench, need good saws, planes, chisels, marking, measuring, clamps,......where will it end

Tyler is right about the photos........this forum loves em!!!

Good to have you here!!

Welcome Jerry.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Smile

Welcome Jerry! The people here are wonderful about sharing information. I've learned much by just asking.

If I keep buying hand tools, I'm going to have to sell some of my power equipment to make room. I'm also hooked on saws, as well as planes, braces, and scrappers.
    Possumpoint

Guess I can take a hint, though the LOML would probably not agree, but her hints are way too subtle for me.

Anyway, here's a pic of some of my saws:

And here's an old Disston 112 I got from e-bay. The tote, as can be seen, was not in real good shape, so I made one from some cherry scrap I had.

And here's the D-8 that started it all off. The stuff stacked behind the saw are the rails and stiles for the doors of some cabinets I'm making for our home office. (Mostly done with electron burners, but some hand planing and scraping, too.)

And here's a pic of my home made stair saw

Guess that's enough for now.
    Someone said the real test of a craftsman is his ability to recover from his mistakes. I'm practicing real hard for that test.

Welcome to the SMC

Howdy Jerry,

I checked your homepage. I really liked the stuff on inlaid boxes. I am planning an inlaid box project using mesquite and pecan right now so it was nice to see the pictures of your box made with these woods. Any tips on planing your inlay stock? One of my biggest concerns is milling the inlay material to a consistent thickness.

Wendell

Since I use a scrollsaw for the inlays with the cut being at a slight angle I find that milling the inlay stock a little thicker than the field stock works well. For starters, it makes getting an exact angle for cutting less important since you've got some leeway. Then, once the inlay is glued, I take it to the belt sander and sand it down flush. Both mesquite and pecan cut crisply with good sharp blades, and with the Flying Dutchman blades I never have a sanding to do on the cuts. Of course, sanding the cuts is not an option for the inlay stuff anyway.

BTW, where is Murphy, TX. I'm in the Austin area.

Welcome Jerry! The 'Creek is a wonderful place to learn and share information!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Palmer
    BTW, where is Murphy, TX. I'm in the Austin area.

Murphy is up on the North East side of Dallas.

Wendell

Here and there picked up a few more things, and then came across an old Disston D-8 rip with the thumb hole for a song at an Antique Mall. So I started researching and was hooked.
    Aha, you must be the same "JerryPalmer" I see so often on Ebay, usually bidding against me on Disston saws! That's exactly how I got hooked on em, too.

Welcome to the Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael
    Aha, you must be the same "JerryPalmer" I see so often on Ebay, usually bidding against me on Disston saws! That's exactly how I got hooked on em, too.

Welcome to the Creek.
    Sorry 'bout that. Did I ussually win, or just drive your bid up?

Rust is rather scarce around these parts, so e-bay and side trips to antique stores etc when traveling for work are my main options for procureing the fixes for my addiction. Lately I've been traveling with other folks from the office more than on my own, so rust hunting has suffered.

Sorry 'bout that. Did I ussually win, or just drive your bid up?

Rust is rather scarce around these parts, so e-bay and side trips to antique stores etc when traveling for work are my main options for procureing the fixes for my addiction. Lately I've been traveling with other folks from the office more than on my own, so rust hunting has suffered.

No need to apologize, Jerry, alls fair in love, war, and the pursuit of rust, we just seem to share the same taste in saws:-)

I have to rely on Ebay as well, I'm in rust purgatory, at least so far as the WW variety. There's plenty around here if you're into farm & ranch or oilfield tools.

I would think you would have a little bit better pickings being near the German Hill Country.

Welcome Jerry, and more info. please.

Hi Jerry, and welcome to the Creek.

Like many "creekers" I too am drawn to old saws. Maybe you read my threads on cleaning backsaws? I use the same method on handsaws.

And speaking of handsaws, can you expand on how you make a handsaw handle? Specifically, how to make the slot/groove in the wooden handle to accept the blade. I visited your web page and noticed that you made at least one "cover top" saw handle that covers the top of the steel. How did you cut that groove? I've considered making the handle in halves and relieving each halve to proper shape and depth to accept the steel but I don't think I'd be happy with resulting seam in the handle after glueing the pieces back together.

Thanks, Vince

welcome Jerry

I joined the Creek not too long ago myself. Glad to have another Texan on board. I was born in Austin and raised in Round Rock but have been in SE Texas since 1960. Mom and Dad lived in Cedar Park and Georgetown for 10 years or so in the 70-80's. That area is still my favorite part of Texas. Not much but rice farms, swamps, and chemical plants/refineries where I live now.
    I too love old saws. I picked up a couple from my uncles. They built homes in the Round Rock area for many years. One of them was the contractor, the other his crew foreman and cabinet man. I am trying to learn to put them to good use( the saws, that is).
    Welcome again.
    Danny