Thread: Varathane stain any good?

Question Varathane stain any good?

I have never used this brand before, is it any good?

Undoubtedly superior to Minwax, a lot depends on which particular color. Like most brands DIY stains, I believe that very many of these combine a dye with the pigment. The only way to tell about a stain is to make a sample on a decently large piece of the same wood as the project.

The other alternative, which I prefer, is to separate the dye step from the pigment step. Use dye to establish the basic color. Only dye will achieve a dark color on dense woods like maple. Then the dye is sealed lightly, and the pigment stain applied, similar to a glaze. With some exceptions, gel stains are about the only pigment only stains in the DIY market.

For things of importance, I would mix my own stain. I mix pigment, either dry powder, or artists oil paint with a small amount of boiled linseed oil, then extend that by continuing to add more oil, then some varnish, and finally adding enough thinner to give a good working consistency. Proportions are absolutely not critical. More oil relative to varnish means a slower drying time.

I've never used it on a project, but I did try some samples I got at one of the woodworking shows on some scrap boards one time. I've always have trouble getting Minwax stains to get as dark as they say they should but the Varathane actually looked like the color swatches.

thanks for the feedback guys, I will pick some up for testing.