Thread: Alder bowl carved and textured

Alder bowl carved and textured

Alder bowl carved and detailed experiment the forerunner to the previous carved rim bowl, about 7" x 3" tung oil finish the overhaul finish is not great but as it was a experiment I didn't bother and it bowed a bit several months later. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David

Another great looking bowl. The rim texture really sets it off.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I like the fact that the bowl warped a little! That and all the texture work really makes this one stand out! It's different - and different is good!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

David,

That is neat. What do you use to carve the rim? Is it done freehand?
    Great job!

Jeff

Glad some of you liked it I know this type of work is not every ones cup of tea or should I say coffee, Jeff I used a proxon mini carver to do the rim, it was done freehand whilst still attached to the chuck I unscrewed the chuck and screwed it onto a jig I had made up specially to fit into the 30mm banjo toolpost holder the head and the jig swivels at different angles and can be rotated, its very similar to some of the carvers jigs you see for sale, the beauty is with this one its still attached to the chuck so no problems putting back on the lathe, hope this answers your question fully, and thanks for looking
    Last edited by David Newson; 05-22-2008 at 6:42 PM.
    David

Very cool! The carving around the rim looks great, I'm not sure if I would have textured the whole piece, I'd use it more of an accent, but, your work, not mine. Overall nice bowl!

i think this is good, one suggestion i think you should make that rim a lip, like a handle
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Yep just as I suspected .... i shudda started at the bottom. Nice work on the texture, did your hand cramp up at all? I tried a year ago and could not finish due to the cramping... now I OT and let the steel take the cramp.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by David Newson View Post
    Alder bowl carved and detailed experiment the forerunner to the previous carved rim bowl, about 7" x 3" tung oil finish the overhaul finish is not great but as it was a experiment I didn't bother and it bowed a bit several months later. Thanks for looking.
    very rustic nice in a manly room...

10. David Newon
    Tell you something David, that is beautiful and this type turning is my cup of tea. I like it fine. Been experimenting doing this kind of turning/ decorating myself.Yours is the first I have seen from someone else since I became interested and that is beautiful. If you have anymore finished how about posting them?Again, nice work David. Mitch