Thread: Lord Elephantea

Lord Elephantea

This is the third of my Mad Hatter's Teapot series and gives homage to the mighty elephant with a handle that curls back toward the body in the shape of a tusk. The plume on the lid denotes royalty and the piece stands lightly on a necklace of black claws which were paid in tribute.

This piece includes an eastern cedar body, cherry handle, blackwood feet and top with a carved madrone burl finial.

It stands about 9" tall and is about 8" wide and is finished with lacquer. I think I'm going to knock the finish back down to a matte so that the reflections don't interfere with the wood grain as much. What do you think?

Comments and critique welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Raymond, I really love this piece. Your creativity is starting to blossom. As for the finish I think I would have to see it in person to give an opinion on whether you should knock it down some or leave it be.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Raymond,

Well, you gotta admit that is different! I give you credit for imagination and a good use of color! This one does fit in with your artistic Tea Pot series and I think has a lot of charactor! Love the feet, the trunk and the overall shape of the 'pot'. As far as finish - I would leave it as is - I can see the wood grain just fine! While I have to admit I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to turnings - this one reaches out simply due to it's 'fantasy' factor!

Great example of imagination! I look forward to your next 'non-traditional' turning!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That's really great, Raymond!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Unqualified to comment on artistic merit, but agree with Steve on the finish. A high quality, high gloss lacquer finish is a thing of beauty. If it is not defective, do not repair it.
    Richard in Wimberley

Blog Entries
    Ray I think I would like it either way, but I think a softer sheen might be nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Beautiful piece Raymond. Finish is great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Raymond I like the glossy finish. If you ever do another one the only thing I would change is to make the handle and body joint less visible. The wood choice was a wise one, and the creavity is surperb.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

I appreciate and respect the skill and work that went into it, but the end result doesn't really send me aesthetically. I liked you Mad Hatter teapot better, but that's just my opinion. And I really like gloss finishes, but I think a more satin look would work well for this one.