Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A call for curtains???

A call for curtains???

For two days I've been coring some large elm bowls, and just shaping the outside to get ready to core, I had to stop 3 times today, and twice yesterday to clean up my mess. Shavings were all over the shop, even to the back wall, which is 20 feet away. There's a bench model Vicmarc VL100 under those blue rags.
    I'm thinking about making some vinyl curtains to hang around my lathe, that will roll up out of the way by pulling on a rope. I'm looking for ideas.
    Just curious... what do you do to keep the shavings contained to the area of your lathe? Do you do anything?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen Neighbors; 02-20-2008 at 5:24 PM.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Allen....my wife and my neighbor's wife have been insisting on curtains in my shop.....Ain't gonna happen. I'll shovel....thank you!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You could use very inexpensive shower curtain liners--the ones that are semi-translucent are about $6.

Allen,
    I found that the rest of my shop got too dirty when I turned. My setup is to suspend visqueen, floor to ceiling, around the area that I turn in. I also have the air intake end of my JDS air filter in that space that runs the whole time I'm turning and for an hour afterwards. I have a dust collector 'funnel' that I use when sanding as well. Obviously, the visqueen doesn't make an airtight seal, like hard walls would, so the area gets cross flow air movement(but the area is still a slight low pressure area) when the air filter &/or the DC are running.
    Since I set this up, the rest of my shop is soooo much cleaner! I had gotten to the point that I had to vacuum off EVERY surface and tool, etc. because of the heavy covering of 'turning residue'. It's amazing how far some of those curlys from bowl tuirning will travel!
    HTH
    Jerry

Allen - I have a basement shop and have a large canvas painter's drop cloth hung from the ceiling that I use to keep the shavings from going everywhere. Works well and concentrates the shavings to only the area surrounding the lathe.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Her Majesty says the shower curtain liner sounds good, pricewise.
    Jerry Pittman, what is 'visqueen'? Her Majesty wants to know.

I have to keep in mind that I need to have some air flow going all the time in the summer, so that means that I'll probably have to leave a gap of about 18" between the curtains and the floor. I do have a homebuilt air cleaner that is right above the lathe, but I keep an exhaust fan going in the end wall of my shop, which is not air-conditioned.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Honestly, when I am able to get back to turning, I'm considering the same thing. Some inexpensive shower curtains (clear so most of the light is maintained) will help keep the shavings, etc., more contained.

There is actually a tip about this in the most recent email from WOOD Magazine...not that its a new or unique idea. Many turners do this!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Been there, remember to get the shavings off any cast iron. After scrubbing the rust off my lathes, bandsaw and a few other tools. I went and picked up some roll up shades and a few shower curtains. The roll up shades are about $4 at Lowes and I like them for the ease of storage. I have about 6 of them in the shop but they are a little short to hang from the ceiling so I use a shower curtain to cover the bandsaw when I'm roughing green wood. I have them hung in front of the workbench from a shelf over head and under the overhang of the bench top.
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

What's wrong with shavings?

Nothing, it's the rust they leave behind. They're great all over the floor, makes it more comfortable to stand.
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

Makes great cat litter too. Until you hear that "squish" noise under your foot....

Nope. No animals in my shop. Unless you count the bugs.

I'm contemplating putting up shower curtains too. I wonder if there's a curved rail somewhere that one could purchase?

I use clear polyethelene to let the light in. I have my lathe against a wall so only had to inclose 3 sides. Bent 2 "Curtain rods" out o 1/2 inch EMT. Drilled 3 holes in them, one at each end and one on the bend. Screwed them to the ceiling, leaving them down about a 1/2 inch to leave room for the curtains to slide. Sewed a hem in my poly curtain and threaded it on the conduit. Works great.

Blog Entries

Cool

I don't know about the curtain. But those are some really cool pictures.
    Have a Nice Day!

Shower curtains!

They are what I use behind my lathe to redirect the fallout. Heavy duty curtains. Try at local charity outle, (salvation army, St Vincents) I got mine for 25c.
    Bob

My work bench which holds my sharpening grinder is only 2 steps from my lathe. I put up a 1/2 in steel pipe and shower curtains to prevent the table from getting covered with shavings. It works for me.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"