Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beall Carnauba Wax Question

Thumbs up Waxing away

Maylon,

Being a Materials Engineer, your question peaked my curiosity since waxes are generally considered to be hydrophobic (water resistant which is why they bead in the rain) and inert (they don't react with anything). It is possible that everyone's experience with Carnauba wax is correct. Wax will flake easily resulting a porous coating which allows water through it unless it has been fully melted. I understand that Carnauba wax is one of the highest melting temperature natural waxes (~180F) so it will require more heat (or elbow grease) from the application process to fully melt and give a uniform coating. While partial melting may give the appearance of a full coating, it will not be sufficient to give you the desired protection. Because the melting point is below the boiling point of water, it is also easy to remove quicking with a kettle of water and it will not stand up to washing.

Applying a coating without getting sufficient friction between your bowl and the applicator will result in an inconsistant coating and leave pathes for the water through the wax. The water will react with the wood underneath so the only way to fix it is remove all the wax and start again. It is also the reason other lower melting point waxes may seem more protective since they are easier to melt and apply. I suggest you try applying more pressure to you work piece during buffing and seeing if that makes a difference.

The comment that waxes are not sealants is also valid since the hot wax will not likely penetrate the wood and create a chemically hard surface as sealants do.

Good Luck & Cheers,

Doug

I just got a note back from JR Beall. Beall's service has always A-1 top notch in my book! He replied that it is a common problem that he has encountered. He said that he didn't have any customer complaints from the issue when he sold craft items at shows.

I have no doubt that I applied the wax in significant enough amounts with plenty of friction to completely protect the pieces.

I'm tempted to try car wax since it never fogs with exposure to water, is durable, and does not show fingerprints. I'll have to check to see what petroleum distillates are used in car wax as a spreading agent to make sure that it won't interfere or harm various finishes.

Doug,
    I appreciate your very informative reply.
    I think I was getting sufficient friction and heat when applying the wax cause the wood was getting so hot it was uncomfortable to hold on to and I was worried the heat was going to crack the bowl. I plan on wearing light cloth gloves in the future. But next time I will see if I can maybe use a little more friction and generate more heat.

Dick,
    Thanks for passing on the info from JR Beall. At least I'm not alone with the problem. And please let us know what your car wax research turns up.

One thing I am going to try is a tip Cindy Drozda and Bonnie Klein gave me. Bonnie said she uses neutral/clear shoe polish on a lot of her turnings and it seems to work quite well. She said it is a mixture of different waxes. Cindy said after Bonnie told her about it she uses it on her finials and other turnings. So I am going to give it a go. Bought some at Wal-mart tonight. I am going to try it on bare wood and over different finishes.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie,
    Can't wait for your results

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    ... Bonnie said she uses neutral/clear shoe polish on a lot of her turnings and it seems to work quite well. She said it is a mixture of different waxes. Cindy said after Bonnie told her about it she uses it on her finials and other turnings. So I am going to give it a go...
    Never heard of that one ... I look forward to your results Bernie.