Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Philosophical question gentleman...and ladies

My father has many years of experience in woodworking having done it professionally for a large company for 13+ years and was responsible for making some incredible pieces while employed there. While he was there he had access to the best equipment on the market and his work was second to none. When he quit that job his access to woodworking equipment was reduced to a handful of 50+ year old, rusted and out of tune tools that were only partially working. He rehabbed them back into working condition with what he had available (washer motors, old extension cords, etc.) and even though they're buried in junk between the two cars in his unheated garage he still makes incredible furniture, cabinets, turned vases, you name it. I am at a total loss to explain how he can do it, how his things can be so incredibly accurate, and how he can be as fast as he is. The last time I was there he was using a 24 tooth circle saw blade in the tablesaw that I think had been used to make pallets for a year before he got it. He always says that tools are only a small part of the equation, it's more important to know how each tool works, why it works the way it does and which tool should be used for which job. Honestly I think he can make it happen because, he just has the "knack" for it and because he can sharpen every tool he owns (except for that stupid carbide tablesaw blade) to an absolute razor edge. So having great tools can certainly make it possible for average folks like myself to do a good job, but I think there's also people out there who have sawdust in their veins and could build a New England tall boy with nothing but a hatchet, bent nails and some worn out sandpaper.

With wood working you have to be able to see what you are going to make, before it is made. I know a few people that can not look at a stack of wood and figure out how to get it from a stack of wood to a peice of furniture. No matter how many times you walk them through the process or how many tools you give them, they can not figure it out.
    Now, I have experianced that as I learn and develop my skills in wood working, that owning the right tool for the job takes you up a few levels. But, you have to be able to do it to begin with first.

I'm enjoying this thread but must admit that I've skipped through it. I'll read the whole thing when I have time to relax and enjoy it.
    I am a very average, beginning woodworker. Last year I made a tea tray for my wife. Our school was having a benefit auction and my wife suggested we donate the tray and I make her another one (not because the tray was THAT crappy but because we wanted to make something and I didn't have time).
    The tray was made of cherry and absolutely no one here would've been impressed with the workmanship. The finger joints weren't particularly tight, the inlay was a bit too deep and the holes that I cut for handles on the ends with a scroll saw didn't quite match. However, I did take my time with staining and finishing and the grain really did look beautiful.

As the auction proceeded I gradually slumped lower and lower in my chair as the price went to $175. It was presented as a hand made tray and, thankfully, no one else knew that I was the "craftsman".

All that is to say that those who don't engage in woodworking are fascinated by the fact that something is made in a local shop rather than overseas and put a tremendous value on it.
    Hopefully the buyer doesn't look as closely at it as anyone here would and I certainly hope they are enjoying it.

My next one WILL be better partly because my skills are improving and partly because I have much better tools now. I'm not sure which is more important and perhaps the answer is different for each individual. In my case, I need the best tools I can possibly find and afford!

Talent or Quality Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Bringhurst View Post
    I agree with Chuck, but would add it pays to have a sense of adventure and a willingness to try new things. Dick B.
    I'm with Dick on this one. Yesterday our Guild directors met to plan programming and we focused on the issue of getting our non-producing members (about half) to get into the shop and make something. A heck of a challenge. If you've ever done shop tours you will see an enormous difference in tools and quality of equipment. I believe, for the hobbyist, that woodworking is an adventure propelled by curiosity and a sense of accomplishment. The wonderful thing about the result is that few who see it are aware of the warts - thankfully, that is usually left to the maker who normally wants to do better next time.

Quote Originally Posted by FRITZ STOOP View Post
    it is not a thing i do, it is a place i go
    a place that satisfies me like no other
    True. I always say, it's not something I do, it's something I am. If it was merely something I do, I could just give it up and not think about it.