Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the "central" power tool in your shop? (brand name if applicable)

My first inclination was to answer that the tablesaw was the most central.Delta uni w/excalibur slider. Reflecting on it considering other posts I have to say the most essential to me would have to be the planer. I work almost exclusivly with solid wood bought in rough form,without the planer I do not have the skill or inclination to hand plane boards, I would not want to,but could find alternatives to cut to size.

Oneida cyclone, General 650..............Rod.

I just went out and counted, and even though I have 8 routers (I hate to change bits) and a big kick ass band saw that seems to be used the most, I would have to say that the table saw is the most important even if just for the table.

You have to have some where flat to assemble your stuff.

SS Table Saw, Bosche 12" SCMS. Just getting a router table set up. Have a Milwaukee 5625 on order to go in a Woodpecker PRL. I know PC seems to be the std but I've had better luck with Milwaukee. My 35 years old Milwaukee router runs as good as the day I bought it and I've done nothing but use it and replace brushes. The 5625 is cheaper and more powerful than the big PC.

Hybrid 22124

Just like Scott my zip code 22124 with recently built outfeed table takes center stage in my shop.

For thirty years my table saw has been the central machine in my shop. Because of changes in the kind of work I now do in my shop my CNC Router has taken the top spot, in fact between the EZ Guide system and my ShopBot my table saw has been partially retired.

I have recently removed the 62" slider from my table saw and as soon as I get a few minutes I will be removing the 50" right side table and reinstall the original cast wing. I purchased a mobile base for the saw so I can store it in the corner of my shop and reclaim the floor space it has been occupying for many years. I'm not ready to give it up entirely just yet but it doesn't warrant the floor space it takes up anymore.

I have been putting off this task for a long time but it must be done, floor space is something I lack and need more then anything these days.

Hello,
    Because of changes in the kind of work I now do in my shop my CNC Router has taken the top spot, in fact between the EZ Guide system and my ShopBot my table saw has been partially retired.
    As I pretty much figured, the TS is runaway "king of the floorspace" in all but a few shops - so far.
    Some really interesting alternatives are popping up though.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

My X-31 Combo machine. Close second a tie with band saw and drill press.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

I have a Wood shop that is my detached garage and storage for my tractor.

For wood working the SS cabinet saw and Router table I made gets the award for central power tools.

Truth is though that I do a ton of other work out there as well. For that the corner stones of my shop are my Sams Club Stainless tool box (and the hand tools inside), my LXT 202 Makita set (drill and impact from Mark at Heavy Duty Tools), and the bench and vise.

Right this minute I have a 72" 7-iron mid mount belly mower that weighs in at 650lbs hanging from a set of pallet forks on the loader of my Deere 3320 tractor. I have it chest high and just finished cleaning 3 years of buildup from the underside and the blades have been removed for sharpening and so I can paint the underside of the deck.

Also my Dewalt 18V radio is one of my most used tools. Its on for WW or anything else in the shop.

Just my perspective.

Minimax CU350 combination machine (8.5' slider w/ dato, tilting arbor shaper, 14" jointer, 14" planer, horizontal mortiser) is the main shop item, flanked by a Minimax MM20 bandsaw, Oneway 2436 lathe, and Oneida cyclone.

For me it would be my Unisaw

Definitely

My Jet cabinet saw. However routers are invaluable tools for many jobs. They just can't cut lumber. I also love using my Laguna 14se Bandsaw for cutting veneers.

Dave

Blog Entries
    With what I mainly do or have been doing I'd have to say my Hawk G4 Scrollsaw. I would think that a Table saw would be most everyone's main item, but my table saw is just good enough to cut close to what I need. For precision work it is a disaster. When that 'dream' saw comes, it'll be the focal point of my shop.
    Have a Nice Day!

Delta cabinet saw is central; however, the router table gets plenty of use as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Cloud View Post
    Festool multifunction table with a TS55 saw and OF1400 router that use the same guiderails and dust extraction.
    I agree with Jesse (and sort of agree with Burt) but I'll add my Jet cabinet saw as a tie for the most-used, can't-do-without tool.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ