Thread: Ta Daaah, "Nessie" is finally finished

Ta Daaah, "Nessie" is finally finished

Like many stylized sculptures, this one ain't gonna be everyone's cup of tea but I'll post her anyhow. As I posted previously, the mounting is a piece of post oak branch that I carved to look like a piece of driftwood. Heck, as far as I'm concerned, that's a good half of the finished piece and, IMHO, could be a stand alone piece. It is stained with two coats of Woodburst colonial oak and finished with a double coat of quick dry Velvit Oil. Nessie, an aromatic cedar branch, has no finish on it whatsoever and I will probably eventually just give her a good coat of furniture wax.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Amazing Wolf! Another beautiful piece of work.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

A most extraordinary carving, Wolf! Very nice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wolf, you continue to amaze me.
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Wolf, you continue to amaze me.
    That's exactly what I would have said. Wolf, your talent and creativity are truly extraordinary.

Tony.
    Tony

Wolf,
    Your carvings are just incredible. Wish I had half your talent.

Dean

Beautiful and imaginative work Wolf.

Just noticed your avatar. Saw I lot of that gesture in Hawaii..they use to convey the message "hang loose", sort of a slang Hawaiian motto.

Thumbs up

Nice work Wolf!!
    Do you use solid wood block to make them? Or do you use a limb and shape it into what you see in the piece?
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Jennings
    Beautiful and imaginative work Wolf.

Just noticed your avatar. Saw I lot of that gesture in Hawaii..they use to convey the message "hang loose", sort of a slang Hawaiian motto.
    That's exactly where I got it from.......
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ketron
    Nice work Wolf!!
    Do you use solid wood block to make them? Or do you use a limb and shape it into what you see in the piece?
    Jim
    Jim, Normally I do use a solid block of wood when I do a carving. In this instance, however, "Nessie" was formed from an aromatic cedar branch (obviously mostly sapwood as you can see) that was given to me and the mounting was carved from a piece of post oak branch.

The cedar branch, in fact, determined the shape of "Nessie". For the mounting, I looked through several trees for a branch that would work and, luckily for me, what I needed I found on one that had gone down.
    Wolf Kiessling

That is really wild and imaginative Wolf. I love it!!!!!!!

DK

Nessy

Evenin' Wolf"

All I can say is DITTO, DITTO............................................. Ditto to ALL the above. That is definitely a piece of EYE CANDY!

Thank you for all the kind words, folks. I'm really sort of surprised at the response, I didn't think that all that many people would like this kind of work. This is very, very gratifying.

Working on a 2 ft tall cowboy caricature now. A companion piece to that Ronnie Reed designed piece I did and posted a few months ago. This one is definitely my own design; I'm happy with the plans, have already band sawn the blank and am busily working on the rough carving now. SWMBO is having some medical problems that are kind of slowing me down and keeping me out of the shop but she is making rapid progress.
    Wolf Kiessling

nessie

Wolf you mistical caracters are always good choices. You see things in the wood that others miss. You have the viking ability to take the branch that is right for the piece you want. Not try and make the piece into what you want. Keep creating you insiper the rest of us to do better in what we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kiessling
    I didn't think that all that many people would like this kind of work.
    Wolf, whether or not we personally "Like the Work" is immaterial (and please don't misunderstand, I say this with deep respect and admiration), Your talent and creativity is amazing, and that's what we like to see. Please Don't stop, keep the work and the pic's coming.
    Tony