Thread: swivel casters

swivel casters

I've got a downdraft table I made and put a swiveling caster on each corner. They came from the "Blue Box". Why don't they work as a team? When I try to push or pull the table, one or more will turn to 90* to the direction of travel and motion stops. The casters are 2.5" or 3" and I don't think they are carrying more than their posted weight limit. Any ideas? Thanks. DB
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Are they lubed and level? Plumb may be an issue too. The weight distribution on each caster may be uneven. Is the hight adjstable? If so balance the load and see if that helps. If not you may have to shim under one or of them.
    WD 40 has solved many a wobble.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 03-24-2004 at 9:35 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Are they lubed and level? Plumb may be an issue too. The weight distribution on each caster may be uneven. Is the hight adjstable? If so balance the load and see if that helps. If not you may have to shim under one or of them.
    WD 40 has solved many a wobble.
    The load's definitely not balanced as the blower and motor were one unit (blower spins around the motor) instead of a belt driven unit that would spread the weight more. That didn't occur to me because the blower/motor didn't seem terribly heavy. I'll try dropping some bricks in the other end and see if that helps.

I'm pretty sure they're plumb and level otherwise, but I'll check that too (before I add the bricks since I'll have to flip it over!).

Thanks for the ideas. DB
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

Dan,
    I just had to replace a dozen castors that I bought at the Big Blue Box because they didn't work just as you discribed. I thought my customer had overloaded them and messed up the bearings. It may be they have gotten in some defective ones. The ones I had to replace were made in, where else, China. Please post the results of your experimentation.
    Robert