Thread: New Shop Saw

New Shop Saw

OK, Here goes at the first try for posting pics. Hope they get put on OK.

It's a couple shots of a "new" shop saw. A friend and I are setting up a woodworking operation. We have a sawmill and are in the process of building a 40' x 60' building. We take trees to lumber and also will make items from the lumber we process. We needed a saw as mine satays in my home shop and his wasn't up to the tasks one will be put to. We had both been keeping an eye on eBay, classifieds, etc to find one worth the money.

He saw one on Craigslist and after calling to verify it did exist and was working took off after it as the drive wasn't all that far and the price was right - fifty bucks. Got it back and cleaned the table and replaced belts and it runs like a champ and really 'chops wood'. All castings, etc in good shape - tilt and blade elevation very smooth. But it didn't have any labels on it so we started digging. After hunting through the OWWM site decided what it was. Turns out it's a 1939 Delta Unisaw (Model 1450). The switch is missing and was hotwired and the Delta logo is gone from the front door. The door has a broken catch also and is held with a slide bolt. Someone has used it as a paint table but my thinking is it just helped prevent rust. It has no motor cover but the manual (from OWWM) says its an option and there are no mounting holes so don't think it ever had one. The casters someone added work(ed) too well (wouldn't stay put) so they came off. Incidentally, serial number is D-301.

It's now set up at a permanent place with a 15' outfeed table he built. I do have a question if anyone can help. It's wired for 110 but think it can be 220. Does anyone have any expertise with those old "bullet" motors to help with rewiring it. (I think it looks like the Hindenburg.....and about as big. My friend has posted on OWWM so may get something there, but thought I would ask.

Provided this works I'll try to get other pics of our operation posted.

Richard

Delta 1450 cabinet saw (1939).jpg

Delta Model 1450 (1939).jpg

Kewel find, Richard!!! I hope you'll post pictures of it cleaned up and installed in the setup you describe, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Followup to shop saw

Well, it seemed to work OK. I wanted to see if everything was OK before opening my mouth. I would like to thank Jim Becker for his help with the trouble I was having getting pics posted. Now that the door has been opened who knows what else will come through .

That is one ugly chunk of old 'arn. If it works for you, it looks like you found a diamond in the rough.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Richard
    Great find. At an unbelivable price
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Nice! I recently got a 1932 Atlas 8" table saw. While not much use for general wood working, it fits the bill perfectly for me. I use mine with a special .023" blade for slotting rosewood and ebony fingerboards to hold fretwire.

Can't beat the old cast iron jobs!

7. I've been looking daily for a classic Uni, and haven't had any luck. I can't believe I didn't see this one, I'm just a tad jealous.

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    Great find on the saw. For the wiring, look on the motor for a plate. The plate will give which wires go where.

A 1939 four-footed Unisaur for 50 bucks?!?!?! Okay, this is coming from the heart... you suck!

(in case you didn't know, that's a compliment of the highest order expressing extreme happiness on your behalf for a GREAT score, and extreme jealousy that it didn't happen to me )

VERY cool! Have fun restoring that puppy. Search OWWM for a thread about brand spanky-new cast iron motor covers (molded from an original C.I. cover) if you're in the mood for one.

Dang, there goes *MY* Father's Day wish... looks like somebody else got my wish come true.

Congratz on a major score!

Dave--- on lunch break from "his" father's day present--- replacing a suddenly busted water heater in the shop/garage, repairing water damage, re-routing pipes, and generally thinking he'd much rather be restoring an old Unisaur for Father's Day

New Shop Saw - Update (Addition)

Last Sunday I made the original post about the 1939 Delta Unisaw a friend bought about three weeks ago.

Well, after work today I walked in the shop, took a look and made a comment to the effect we're going to have to build another shop. He's been at it again. Another saw. This one is a Delta Unisaw also, a 1940 model which he found locally while looking in a secondhand store for a window for the shop. Serial number is N-188.

It's in better shape than the 1939 model. It's missing the switchplate but the original box is there. The motor cover is gone but the guy he got it from says he thinks he knows where it is. Other than that everything else is original and working. This one has a louvered front door and the Delta logo is on it. I may put this one in my home shop. I didn't have my camera with me so no pics yet.

Now to buy Biesemeyer fences for both of them....for about fifteen times the cost of both saws.

Incidentally, I haven't stuck my finger into the running blade on either one to see if they slam to a stop.

Richard, at least you'll have some tools to help build the new shop!

Seriously, it's really nice that you and your friend have been able to find some very nice old iron. And two in a row so close is pretty incredible.

Oh, "someone" has had the UniFence on sale for a bit...it's certainly a very nice option to the Biesemeyer style fence. (and my preference of the two)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Geez. $50 usually only gets you a blade. Your blade came with the saw attached too. Nice score.
    Use the fence Luke

Cutting wood aint no beauty contest. Nice find. Looks like it will be at home at work all day.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion