Thread: Hinge for removable box lid?

Hinge for removable box lid?

I'm making a covered oil painting palette, and I want to be able to remove the top when in use. It will measure about 11x14x 3/4". I haven't been able to find any of the partially open hinges that allow the top of a box to be easily removed and reinstalled. They would have to be failry small in order to look right. Can anyone point the way to something like this? Thanks

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 05-10-2007 at 3:49 AM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Dan
    Don't know of a source to purchase but I have a box full of them that I picked up at an auction several years ago. They are crome or nickle and about 1" long. Let me know if you are interested and I will send you a few.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Thanks Dave, PM sent.

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Do you have enough room to install european hinges. Try the Blum clip on type. Simply clip on or off the hinge as needed!
    Luc

Honey where did I put.....never mind I found it!

Quote Originally Posted by luc gendron View Post
    Do you have enough room to install european hinges. Try the Blum clip on type. Simply clip on or off the hinge as needed!
    Not if you mean the ones that are set in the 35mm hole like the cabinet hinges.

Dan

-Woody Allen-

What about making a simple wooden dowel, sitting in a half-round mortise? You could engineer some wooden stays to keep the dowel in place unless you remove it at a specific angle.

I just got a flyer with some on close out.

from parts-express.com they mostly have audio and electronic stuff but there is some spill over. the part they have is a stanley take apart hinges, package of 8. they are 1 3/4 wide by 1 3/4 long described as two piece heavy duty steel take apart hinges perfect for attaching lids to equipment cabinets, console mixing cases..... Price is 58 cents, looks like for the 8 pack. says it compare to $5.99 a pack. they offer some close out stuff they have picked up every month and just happen to have these now. excellent company by the way. shown as part # 269-024
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Williams View Post
    What about making a simple wooden dowel, sitting in a half-round mortise? You could engineer some wooden stays to keep the dowel in place unless you remove it at a specific angle.
    Andrew---Thanks, but I can't quite visualize this. I think my best bet will be the hinges that Dave offered.

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Rasmussen View Post
    from parts-express.com they mostly have audio and electronic stuff but there is some spill over. the part they have is a stanley take apart hinges, package of 8. they are 1 3/4 wide by 1 3/4 long described as two piece heavy duty steel take apart hinges perfect for attaching lids to equipment cabinets, console mixing cases..... Price is 58 cents, looks like for the 8 pack. says it compare to $5.99 a pack. they offer some close out stuff they have picked up every month and just happen to have these now. excellent company by the way. shown as part # 269-024
    Larry
    Larry---Thanks, I have been able to find hinges of that size, but they would be too big for this project. I think the ones that Dave has will do the trick, as they are much smaller. I guess they just don't make them anymore in the smaller sizes, or if they do, they are keeping it a pretty good secret.

Dan

-Woody Allen-