Thread: I found the BEST WW book

I found the BEST WW book

Yep, I found the BEST ww book. The title is Sawmill Creek. Well, it may not be a book in the traditional sense, but I've printed out so many threads that it is the size of a book by now, and it even has color pictures. And better yet, I don't just get the opinion of one author, I get the consensus of experienced people all over the world on each topic. Think about it for a minute, how much would you pay for a ww book like THAT !! Reality though is that bandwidth, etc., etc. costs money. You don't get harassed with revenue generating pop-up ads on the Creek, so the bucks have to come from somewhere. May I suggest that as many of us members as possible make a contribution in order to ensure the longevity of Sawmill Creek. Elsewhere on this forum there is a recommendation of just $6.00 per member, I think that's low, but I also think each should only do whatever is comfortable for them, be it $1.00, 5, 10, 25. I'd buy this book any day of the year for that bargain price. Hope this hasn't offended anyone.

You'll get no argument from me Bob!!

Bob, I echo your comments. I actually have four notebooks full of ideas and information that I've taken off the Internet. Much of the information has come from Sawmill Creek. I can't believe hom much I've learned in the short time I've been here and am looking forward to contributing more as I get started on my planned projects and gain more experience. Just $6.00/year is a very small price to pay for such an excellent resource. I pay far more on some other auto related forums I belong to. Sawmill Creek has saved me many many times that amount and the advice and friendship here are priceless.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

As a follow up to the above post I'll share my method of finding one of the topics that I printed out when I need it. As a matter of fact I do this same thing for any articles in ww magazines. You may be suprprised how much of most magazines are not worth keeping. Since I subscribe to probably every ww magazine out there, I have a lot of articles. I don't believe in owning stacks of magazines and never remembering where a certain article is, even with an annual index. I simply tear out any article that may be of current or future interest. I have maybe 15 or 20 standard file folders labeled with a topic (i.e., Planer, Band Saw, Joinery, Hand tools, Hardware, Shop Layout, Routers, etc.) and I simply dump the article into the appropriate folder. Simple, fast, cheap, effective. BTW, this has made me realize that router topics probably dominate, simply because you can do so much with a router. Works for me.

Bob, I think you have articulated the thoughts of a lot of the members here, including me. I too have two notebooks of printed threads from this site (and a couple of others), I've learned a lot, I've made new friends, I've spent money (!), and SMC is the first (of 9) site I visit each day and the last each night. This is a great place and I agree that the advice and friendships made here are priceless.

By the way, Bob, feel free to borrow my tag line "Did you know..." All you need to do is copy mine and paste it into your signature in your profile, and it will show up every time.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Bob, keep reading. Just like a good book, it only gets better!

Dave
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

It's a great book and it is like having a mentor.

Not only does it know the answer to most questions, but if you can't find the answer, you can ask.

If you are looking for inspiration, it is here.

If you can't find suppliles, somebody here knows where to go.

If you need pull with a manufacturer or supplier, many of them keep an eye on these pages.

And it's a nice bunch of people to know.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Hey neighbor! Good call on "The Book"....
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Wait till you see Chapter two coming out tomorrow.

Hey Bob,

Yes this is a great book. I've learned tons here and check almost daily. I do tend to keep my magazines intact because I sometimes find an article that I can use but would have tossed it after the first read. Like a few weeks ago my back went out so while I was laying around in pain I found an article in Woodwork on making a cane. I will be making one in the near future for those one or two times a year when I need one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ruflin
    Hey Bob,

Yes this is a great book. I've learned tons here and check almost daily. I do tend to keep my magazines intact because I sometimes find an article that I can use but would have tossed it after the first read. Like a few weeks ago my back went out so while I was laying around in pain I found an article in Woodwork on making a cane. I will be making one in the near future for those one or two times a year when I need one.
    Tom, bummer about your back. Hope it heals real quick. You've got a point about keeping the full magazine. I know I would never have torn out an article about making a cane. Your method obviously works for you, no problem with that. Regards, Bob.

Thumbs up

I am a new member here and absolutley love the site. Problem is I spend way to much time on my laptop reading new & old articles, my wife thinks I've got an online girlfriend LOL.
    I was wondering how this site was supported when I signed up there was no mention of a donation. Now that I am aware of it I will send in my check.Maybe this should be mentioned when people first sign on unless it was there and I missed it. Anyway you guys have something special here.