Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ash - what is it good for?

Thumbs up Herb,

That's a great looking little table you got there. Nice work & it does look like a nice substitute for Oak - I'll have to remember that.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Paul Kunkel Guest

Here's my ash kitchen

nice wood to work with
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dan Bussiere Guest
    Paul,
    The cabinets look great! What do you do for stain/finish? I do well when it comes to building, but I usually am disappointed with the color when I stain/finish. Thanks for your help.
    Dan

Scott in Douglassville, PA Guest
    I love ash - mills great, strong as al get-out, and looks nice. I like the smell when cutting it, too. FWIW, I'm building my workbench base from ash right now (16/4 ash is $2.50/BF here), and have a wine cabinet on the list that will also be ash.

One thing I'll say: I've noticed that ash yellows a bit with age; I've read that it's largely caused by UV. With that in mind, I tend to use thinned spar varnish as a topcoat.

Here's a train table I made for the three-year-old last year. Not a single dent yet.

Paul Kunkel Guest
    Originally posted by Dan Bussiere
    Paul,
    The cabinets look great! What do you do for stain/finish? I do well when it comes to building, but I usually am disappointed with the color when I stain/finish. Thanks for your help.
    Dan
    This was no stain, just a wipe on Tung oil varnish-2 coats with a 150g sand between. SMOOTH

Thanks for all the input

I am now convinced! I will be picking up a load of it this week. I had planned to build some free standing bookshelves with white oak, but now I will use the ash.

Thanks as always for the education!

Mike
    Mike Goodwin

Scott that train table is very cool! What kid wouldn't go nuts over that. Looks like a perfect height and built like a tank. Nice job!

Jennifer
    "Knowledge is the antidote to fear".

how can you tell if you have the beatles?

I've just bought some ash for some trundle drawers, how can you tell if you have a beatle problem?

Dan Bussiere Guest
    Paul,
    Thanks for the reply! I will make something soon and give your advise a try. I'll show you all some pics. See, this is why I love this place!
    Dan

Love ash wood

I built our kitchen cabinets out of ash. They have been in use for nearly years without refinishing and still look great. Also, when I can get in 6/2 or thicker, I loves it for turning bowls, platters, etc.. Use it when ever you can get it.
    Doc