Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nerd Alert ....Geek Check!

I used to love riding my mountain bike, gave it up when the onset of carpal tunnel made the wrists tingle when I rode. I wish I could afford the freight on a recumbant, I'd love to go riding again.
    Ned

2B1ASK1

I used to race mtn. bikes and tried for a few years to recover from some injuries and get back into it (for fun and excercise). I spent an entire winter on stationary bikes in the gym and everything seemed fine. But, the stresses applied by a stationary bike is nothing like carrying my fat posterior up a hill. Bottom line, when I got back on the road, the old injuries soon returned.

You may want to see if you can rent a real recumbent for a while and make sure it is OK. It would suck to throw down the substatial cash for one and realize it does aggrivate your knee or back. On the other hand, it may also help you choose features before you buy.

I'm having deja vu all over again as pavement != treadmill to my ankle .
    Jay St. Peter

I did some research several times over the years but haven't yet ponied up the $$ for a recumbent bike or trike.

I get a catalog from www.hostelshoppe.com. They seem to have a lot of knowledge and pretty good selection.

There are several forums for recumbents if you google for them.

A coworker in our Boulder office bought a nice trike last year after a stroke because he has balance issues.

Kevin

<TABLE class=tborder id=post375824 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead> Today, 6:01 PM <!-- / status icon and date -->
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><!-- user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_375824>Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Anyone have a recumbent bike?? They're suppose to be more efficient.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Yes, but are they "thong-safe"?
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Lee-- I guess they would be -- if you kept it in a safe! LOL
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Right up your alley Tyler

Ride in style buddy

[Room for a couple of Babes ]
    Ah....a western limo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Been trying to whip this lard a** back into shape .
    Anyone have a recumbent bike?? They're suppose to be more efficient.
    Boy, Tyler, the ratio of smart aleck responses to serious ones was pretty large on this thread...

Has anyone pointed you towards recumbents.com? or ihpva.org?

And as for whipping your Lard... into shape. well... Let's just say that the first time I started regularly riding a recumbent was kind of eye opening. I had no idea that my butt could hurt like that. It was just a few days, honest, but you sure do use a different set of muscles when riding a recumbent bike!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Thanks Art,
    There were quite a few less than helpful hints here but I got a lol out from them.
    I've been tracking down the web sites and getting some good ideas.
    Most impressive that you built your own. Way cool.
    Found a dealer here locally.
    Going to set up some time and give them a road test.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Tyler, a good first trip would be down this way.

It's only a couple hundred miles and it's mostly downhill. Guaranteed you'd get some good exercise.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    It's only a couple hundred miles and it's mostly downhill.
    Oy. Rule 1 of biking or hiking: go uphill on the outbound leg.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Tyler.

As a former bicycle racer, for over 30 years. Recumbents are way cool bro', way cool

"In the day" I wasn't afraid of anyone in the US in a flat 40KM time trial. I could tear your knees off, and make you cuss your mama, all the while I'd be grinning at ya' and tellin' ya' bad polish jokes.

I've ridden all kinds of bikes, made of all types of materials. Steel, Aluminium, one piece Carbon fiber, layered carbon fiber, and composites of them mixed. Aluminium has the harshest ride. The tubesets have to be larger in diameter to maintain the required modulus. Aluminium can beat the snot out of you. Steel has a great ride, but unfortunately the framesize would be very heavy, no matter what the butting or tube spec is. One piece carbon frames were my favorites, stiff strong and vertically compliant. I would look for an amalgam of the materials, or look for oversize steel tubing with thinner walls. The best thing about steel is that the frameset is repairable, Aluminium, and Carbon are not, and titanium requires some very special weld techniques. I know that you don't plan to break it,but I never meant to either.

Recumbents are not legal for racing in the US, and weren't, even prior to the change in UCI rules. Why??? because with a fairing on them you can get some serious speed going, bro'. Those things can flat out fly, make no mistake about it. At one time the "unofficial, non paced, land speed record" for a two wheeled vehicle was a recumbent.

The sky is the limit on cost though. I've seen some custom made titanium models that were bling on wheels.

Oh and contrary to popular misconception, they can be ridden up some pretty steep grades. It's all in the gearing. As my ex Euro Pro racing buddy used to say. " A hill is just a flat road in a different gear"

Man I miss racing, not training, but racing. God that was fun.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 06-07-2006 at 7:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken
    I used to love riding my mountain bike, gave it up when the onset of carpal tunnel made the wrists tingle when I rode. I wish I could afford the freight on a recumbant, I'd love to go riding again.

Ned. Check eBay for a "Frankenstem" It was a spring loaded, reflex parallelagram stem. Prior to Rock shocks, and full suspension it was "Da' Bomb" for downhillers. I know of a person that put one on his road bike for relief from Carpal Tunnel. It's a shot. I don't believe that they have been made in years though.

Tyler,

My parents both love their 'bents. They both have an e-bike which I believe is no longer sold. My Dad has knee, back, and wrist problems and can not ride a wedgie, but loves his bent.

I believe that Calhoun Cycle has a variety of bikes that you can check out if you haven't already found them. Someone else suggested Hostel Shoppe as a source and I would second that.

Good Luck,

Ben

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mullin
    Tyler,

My parents both love their 'bents. They both have an e-bike which I believe is no longer sold. My Dad has knee, back, and wrist problems and can not ride a wedgie, but loves his bent.

Good Luck,

Ben
    Wedgie LOL
    Haven't heard it put that way before.
    Thanks Ben,
    Welcome to the Creek.
    You're going to have to make a formal introduction now, and we like Pictures.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Right up your alley Tyler

Ride in style buddy

[Room for a couple of Babes ]
    Steve, you are bad, very bad!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Steve, you are bad, very bad!
    Trying to help my buddy Tyler out on the girlfriend situation.