Thread: Another jointer restoration

Another jointer restoration

I bought this 1987 Invicta/Delta (made in Brazil) jointer from the retiring owner of a cabinet shop. It had lived a pretty rough life, but I really wanted a DJ 20. I now have more money invested in this 19 year old machine than a new G0490.

I was able to buy a new base and motor for less than the cost of replacing the motor alone. The new base is the current version of Delta "Grey" (there are about 50 variations of this color), anyway the old jointer was the blue/gray and didn't look good on the new base.

I had some paint made to match, disassembled most of the jointer and refinished. It turned out OK.

The side benefit of this project was, the jointer (as I bought it) had a 1725 rpm motor, giving a cutterhead speed of about 2700 rpm, the new motor is 3450 which gives a cutterhead speed of 5400 rpm which is just about right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice Job Jim. It looks like a new one.

Wow. Real nice. Ill second what Chris said. It DOES look new. Cool stuff, man.

Excellent resto, Jim! Just like downtown, I'd say! Any chance you have any "before" shots to really bring the point home? Regardless, I'm quite sure you'll enjoy the machine, especially having some significant sweat equity into it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Very nice Jim. You done Giddd as they say. And your head speed will yield a very fine cut. I think you will really enjoy this jointer. Dont worry about comparing how much money you have in it versus what you could have bought. Its an apples to oranges comparision.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Nice jointer restoration Jim.

Dev, If the dog had not stopped to go to the bathroom He would have brought home some big old woodworking machine that needed to be restored.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch
    Nice jointer restoration Jim.

Dev, If the dog had not stopped to go to the bathroom He would have brought home some big old woodworking machine that needed to be restored.
    Huh???? But Bart my good buddy, I did. How is this for an old woodworking machine that needs some TLC and a new home. Made in 1938, the old girl still purrs like a kitten. All 9200 pounds of her.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Huh???? But Bart my good buddy, I did. How is this for an old woodworking machine that needs some TLC and a new home. Made in 1938, the old girl still purrs like a kitten. All 9200 pounds of her.
    OK, I'll be the first to admit and show my ignorance of old iron: Dev, what in blue blazes is that little tinker toy??? And, I'd like to see the size of the old dog that brought that puppy home!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Excellent resto, Jim! Just like downtown, I'd say! Any chance you have any "before" shots to really bring the point home? Regardless, I'm quite sure you'll enjoy the machine, especially having some significant sweat equity into it!
    John, Thanks for asking, but I forgot to take any before photos. It wasn't as gross as some machines I see restored. It hadn't been left outside, or abused. The old girl just served hard time in a commercial enviornment where function was more important than appearance.

Jim

OK, I'll be the first to admit and show my ignorance of old iron: Dev, what in blue blazes is that little tinker toy??? And, I'd like to see the size of the old dog that brought that puppy home!!!
    John et al, allow me to post another thread on this beastie.

That's the Cabinet-O-Matic. Feed raw logs in one side, cabinets come out the other.