Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowl Two and a Half

Bowl Two and a Half

Since my last bowl died minutes from being finished, I gave myself a half on that one.

My wife kicked me out of the house this weekend because I wanted to watch the NFL draft so I went to a friends. He took me to his firewood pile and picked out a piece of dry white oak for me to try. It is the hardest stuff I have ever seen. I felt like I was running a jackhammer for and hour.

The second picture shows the sawing rig that Stu sent me the plans for.

Thanks for lookin,

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Hey Pete.

That wood sure has some interesting grain to it. You did well by it .
    Be Blessed

George

Well it looks like it was worth it Pete! Definetley turned out nice and looks like you had some greain to deal with!! Nice job.

Corey

Way to go Pete. That's great. Man when you get setup and can turn something other then end grain you are going to think you died and went to heaven. It looks great keep raiding your friends wood pile!!!!!
    Tony Sizemore

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."

-Robert Kennedy

Very few people like to turn oak and when they do...it's dripping wet. Nice job with the jack-hammer! I would have never figured you could do such fine work with such a, umm...forgiving...tool!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with the jack hammer analogy. I turned a bowl from very dry red oak a few years ago and couldn't get anything but a scraper to work. And it took for ever. Pretty when done, but never again.

Pete..........Yup.........that dry wood can beat you to death! Nice effort on your bowl!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Some folks don't like oak at all, but you've proved that it can be a very pretty wood if done the right way.....and you done it the right way. Worth the beating?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

9. Nice work, Pete! My one experience turning Oak left me resolved to never do it again...

Very nice! I haven't even tried Oak due to the negative comments but yours sure looks pretty!

I like the idea of fractional bowls, since I can add two halves to my total!

Tell us about the sawing jig, please.
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Some folks don't like oak at all, but you've proved that it can be a very pretty wood if done the right way.....and you done it the right way. Worth the beating?
    I'm not sure it was worth the beating. I guess I am going to have to bulk up to do this wood turnin sport!

I really like that end grain look. Definitely worth the effort it took. I've been wanting to try an end grain bowl but I think it'll be from wet oak.

I'm assuming that since it was so dry you won't have to worry about any more splitting or did you treat it with something?
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Patoka
    I really like that end grain look. Definitely worth the effort it took. I've been wanting to try an end grain bowl but I think it'll be from wet oak.

I'm assuming that since it was so dry you won't have to worry about any more splitting or did you treat it with something?
    I just put on a sanding sealer and wax. I don't think it will split.

Now that is a nice one, Pete. Wow, you and Bernie are neck and neck for the "Rookie of the Year" award John always makes.....
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Pete we are both going to have to go to a NFL training facility and bulk up a little. That oak will beat you to death. I tried a dried oak bowl and it exploded on me. So it is firewood. Looks like you did a good job on it. Has some real interesting grain patterns to it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.