Thread: Painting - a less painful way?

Painting - a less painful way?

I've built a variety of cabinets in the past year or so, and am struggling with painting. I have been building in pine, which I have found to not work well with stain, so I end up painting what I build (or I leave them unfinished).

The larger cabinets aren't too bad to paint, but the smaller ones are a pain, kind of like the difference between sheet rocking a small bathroom and a large living room.

On one of the small cabinets, I tried painting the interior before assembly. That basically tossed the accuracy I had worked hard to achieve right out the window. Not horrific, but definitely disappointing.

I am currently painting a tall, narrow cabinet that is basically a set of cubbies with individual doors. I haven't installed the top or the bottom yet, so I have some improved access, but it is still a pain.

Have any of you come up with techniques that make painting (or finishing) less painful? Is there a way to paint before assembly without screwing up tolerances/accuracy of fit?

I do use a high density foam roller, which has made some aspects easier, but accessing all the nooks and crannies is still tough.

Thanks,

Rene

Do not put the back on the cabinet until you are finished painting. Buy a good spray system. We don't know what kind of construction you are using, so advising on screwing up the tolerances/accuracy is impossible.

Thanks, Richard. I should have mentioned that the backs are floating panels, so when I assemble the cabinets, the backs have to be put in. Maybe I should use rabbets instead of grooves and then I can leave the panels off and then install them with some small molding.

PS I make my cabinets with stiles and rails all the way around. I have a bunch of rough sawn lumber that I am milling up and using. Plus I am not a big fan of plywood sides on free standing cabinets, even though they would eliminate a few of the challenges I have faced..

Blog Entries
    When spraying is not an option an end nap finger roller is a big help. I apply with a finger roller then back brush with the tips of a high quality brush. Finding a paint you like and learning its tricks takes some time. I use Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo or Benjamin Moore Aura + Extender. Some of the end nap rollers leave fuzz behind, particularly with the Oil Impervo. A whizz roller that has been used on latex and cleaned several times will shed its fuzz and become a good roller for oil based Impervo.

https://www.whizzrollers.com/mini-rollers

These rollers will paint right into corners. If you use good paint and are OK with a little roller texture you can sometimes skip tipping off with a brush.

IMG_2314.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 09-25-2024 at 5:14 PM. Reason: end nap rollers image