Thread: Dust Collector Oops - today was my turn

Dust Collector Oops - today was my turn

Planed a bunch of boards today. Neglected to check my dust collector bin before or during the process, assuming it had room to spare. It overflowed and completely filled my 12" x 33" Wynn filter. Oops.

Leaf blower to the rescue - fortunately there was a light breeze to carry it away. Took about 30 minutes and looked like an Arizona dust storm - I'm sure my neighbors love me

Yea, that's a thankless task. Been there, done that. Too many times!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Its just as funny directly vented. If it fills my drum fills and fills my cyclone it starts shooting it out of the side of my house 16' up. only happened once but I'm sure it will happen again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Its just as funny directly vented. If it fills my drum fills and fills my cyclone it starts shooting it out of the side of my house 16' up. only happened once but I'm sure it will happen again.
    BTDT. Looks like a light dusting of snow except its doesn't snow here
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There are sensors you can get for the collection bin.

I finally cut a hole and put a piece of plexi glass in there after a few times of doing the same. I'm thinking I should have got a larger bin as well which I may still get a bigger one.

I simply toss it on a dolly and empty out in the back woods so a bigger size isn't a big deal. I thought about the electronic stuff but based on my affinity for mechanical things and simplicity I have a feeling some more electronic stuff would wear on me. Case in point the miraculous SMC image rotation issue, ugh.....

bin.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    There are sensors you can get for the collection bin.
    Yup, and last time this happened to me (I think the worst task in woodworking), the sensor failed.

A truly awful task. And hard to explain when the neighbors see you on the driveway wearing Hazmat gear and a respirator.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

The sensor on the G700 was reliable...except for that "one time". LOL So far, the sensor is reliable on the new Oneida system, but I routinely take a physical look through the window on the top of the bin just to keep track...being anal about this is a good practice, despite the occasional interruption to work flow to do the look-sy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Happened to me once also. Noticed while cutting grass behind the shop one day .Strangely enough it took me several minutes to realize that was why there was sawdust all over back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Engelschall View Post
    Planed a bunch of boards today. Neglected to check my dust collector bin before or during the process, assuming it had room to spare. It overflowed and completely filled my 12" x 33" Wynn filter. Oops.

Leaf blower to the rescue - fortunately there was a light breeze to carry it away. Took about 30 minutes and looked like an Arizona dust storm - I'm sure my neighbors love me
    That's no fun Steve.

Here's an inexpensive, easy to make bin level sensor.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....nsor-Completed

Regards, Rod.