Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best electric chainsaw for turners

I have both the DeWalt 16 inch and a small Stihl. Both leak oil and neither has an adjustment for oil outflow. They plug up and need to be cleaned frequently, it's a dirty job. Store them with the oil plug up or you'll have an oily shelf. Both work well for the trimming I do.

Consumer Reports recently published their chainsaw ratings. For a corded electric, their top-rated saw is the Stihl MS 170 C-BQ with a score of 68 points. Their top-rated battery-powered saw is the Ego CS2005 with a score of 84 points. The Ego has a 20" bar. Their Ego CS1804 has an 18" bar and scored 82 points.

Many on this thread recommended a saw by brand name rather than by model. It's dangerous to just buy a particular brand. According to Consumer Report's tests, ratings for the saws from any particular brand varied. Some brands had some saws that were highly rated and others that were lowly rated. For example the ratings for DeWalt saws ranged from a low of 42 and a high of 79. Similarly, saws from Makita ranged from 67 to 74. The lowest rated Ego has a rating of 79. Consumer Reports does not recommend any saw with a rating less than 70. (These are all battery powered.)

A couple of caveats: 1 - You might not agree with Consumer Report's evaluations. That is, for your use, a particular feature should be given more or less weight. 2 - Consumer Reports does not test every saw sold. Just because Ego's saw received the highest rating doesn't mean there might not be another saw -- that wasn't tested -- that would have scored even better than Ego's saw.

Lastly, by pointing out the wide disparity in the ratings of saws from DeWalt, Makita, and others, I'm NOT taking a shot at those brands. Battery-powered tool technology is quickly improving. What may have been a top performer a couple of years ago may be a dog when compared with newer designs. That doesn't mean that the older design might not work very well for you. My point is simply that buying a chain saw based only on the brand might not put the best saw into your hands.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    Consumer Reports recently published their chainsaw ratings. For a corded electric, their top-rated saw is the Stihl MS 170 C-BQ with a score of 68 points. Their top-rated battery-powered saw is the Ego CS2005 with a score of 84 points. The Ego has a 20" bar. Their Ego CS1804 has an 18" bar and scored 82 points.

Many on this thread recommended a saw by brand name rather than by model. It's dangerous to just buy a particular brand. According to Consumer Report's tests, ratings for the saws from any particular brand varied. Some brands had some saws that were highly rated and others that were lowly rated. For example the ratings for DeWalt saws ranged from a low of 42 and a high of 79. Similarly, saws from Makita ranged from 67 to 74. The lowest rated Ego has a rating of 79. Consumer Reports does not recommend any saw with a rating less than 70. (These are all battery powered.)

A couple of caveats: 1 - You might not agree with Consumer Report's evaluations. That is, for your use, a particular feature should be given more or less weight. 2 - Consumer Reports does not test every saw sold. Just because Ego's saw received the highest rating doesn't mean there might not be another saw -- that wasn't tested -- that would have scored even better than Ego's saw.

Lastly, by pointing out the wide disparity in the ratings of saws from DeWalt, Makita, and others, I'm NOT taking a shot at those brands. Battery-powered tool technology is quickly improving. What may have been a top performer a couple of years ago may be a dog when compared with newer designs. That doesn't mean that the older design might not work very well for you. My point is simply that buying a chain saw based only on the brand might not put the best saw into your hands.
    All good points David, to which I will add two more.

If you are already invested in the batteries and charger for one of the brands this can tip your decision making in its favour when considering chainsaw options. The cost of the charger and a number of batteries to swap about to keep you going on a job quickly exceeds the skin only cost of the saw. Compatibly with the brands that other members of the family and friends have can be another factor. I'm also mindful that I'm getting closer to when I will no longer be able to use some of my gear and I'm thinking ahead to who will end up with it and its compatibility with what they already have.

The other point is the durability, local servicing and future spare parts of any brand. This is something that comparative reviews don't or can't measure. That is something that you have to make a judgement about yourself. If you tend to be more risk adverse you will give the well known and long standing brands more weighting in your decision making, but if you are more tolerant of risk you will just go with whatever brand/model that comes out on top in the latest reviews.

I see that another review also gives the EGO CS 2005 top marks...

https://www.techgearlab.com/reviews/...er-plus-cs2005
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Blog Entries
    I have an interesting pine tumor that I may need a chain saw for. I have a little 18 volt Ryobi chainsaw that would be a good candidate for lathe work. It is very toy like but has done some impressive work (including adding to the demise of my 6 AH battery). It does sling oil which is a good thing to have in mind. If you go to cut yourself a roadkill roast you want
    "Wesson Oil in your bar and chain". I wonder what oil could be substitute for lathe work?

IMG_2286.jpg

Roadkill Roast Wesson Oil idea credit to cousin James McMurtry.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 09-11-2024 at 7:41 PM. Reason: Ryobi 18 V chainsaw image