Thread: Lee Valley QR Tail Vise install

Lee Valley QR Tail Vise install

Hi everyone,

I had a workbench when I was a kid, but growing up in NYC, there was absolutely no place to have anything remotely resembling a workshop. I bought an old farmhouse in upstate NY about 20 years ago, and one of the out buildings is my current shop. Have been acquiring hand tools for years, knowing that one day I'd get to learning how to use them, and lately I've been able to spend more time doing that.

My workbench saga continues to evolve, long ago having purchased a 4" thick maple slab from Lie-Nielsen (no vises), but never really finishing it. Everything in my shop must be mobile, but I don't want to put any casters on the bench, so I'm considering alternate methods of doing that.

I'll be making a base for it, and installing a couple of vises:
    Lee Valley QR Tail Vise
    Twin Turbo from Andy Klein

If you are considering purchasing/installing the Lee Valley QR Tail Vise, you might have a look at the blog post I just finished about some of what I ran into.

All feedback/questions welcomed --

https://wordpress.com/post/nedotter.wordpress.com/9

Ned

This is very timely for me. I am also just starting to design a new bench and I ordered Andy Klein’s twin turbo vise and considered Lee valley’s qr tail vise. Great minds think alike. Ultimately I’ve decided on using either the benchcrafted tail or hovarter wagon vise instead.

im curious on what design your using; I feel that the TTV is so large that it needs a very beefy top and base so it doesn’t look out of place.

Hi Kendall,

Don't have a specific design for the bench per se, but will have some elements of Garrett Hack's bench. He uses a traditional tail vise, but I didn't want to go through that, plus that type of vise always seems to sag over time.

I want to have storage of some kind under the bench, and that 7" stretcher and the placement of it that Garrett uses would reduce that space.

Will likely use the smaller TTV, but even the small is not so small when you factor in the jaw size that must house the mechanism.

Ned