Thread: What are these Homeade Jigs for?

What are these Homeade Jigs for?

I acquired different jig with the Grizzly Table Saw I purchased from an individual locally and have no clue what most of his home made jigs are for. Maybe some of you can help identify them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

images

more images of jigs

more pictures

First pics: Left Side = Router Jig for Dados. Pretty torn up. Right Side = Taper jig for table saw. It rides against the fence.
    Second pics: No clue
    Third pics: Left Side = Circle jig for router. Right Side = Some sort of special purpose sled?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Right Side = Some sort of special purpose sled?
    Agree with Rob on these. The last pic is a miter sled. It sits in the miter slot and can be adjusted to whatever angle.

You could always ask the guy you bought it from what he used the different jigs for.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

I think the second set is a type of tenoning jig for a router.
    It's just all closed up in the photo.

I made one very similar to the first post left. Yes I use it to cut dados with a top bearing flush trim bit. The useful part is that I use a scrap of the material that will go in the dado to set the width. That way if I have material of an odd thickness the dado is always the correct width. The down side is that I can't use that jig to make dados less than 1/2" wide plus a whisker. The smallest top bearing flush trim router bit I have is 1/2".

Blog Entries
    The left hand one in post #3 appears to be a circle cutting jig for cutting large circles using a router.

The right hand item is a home made Dubby Crosscut sled. They were also used to cut angles, using the calibrated scale on the left hand side, for multi-sided frames like squares, pentagons, hexagons, octagons, etc. Here is what the original Dubby Sled looked like.
    Screenshot 2024-07-24 181600.jpg

One thing I have learned the hard way is to label jigs I make so that years down the road, or in cases such as yours, that they can be identified for what they do.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-24-2024 at 6:35 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute