Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Any ideas on Kubota D902 engine that won't start at low throttle?

They made a holding valve for the Case garden tractors that held back the tractor when adding a tiller for example. They were notorious for "taking off" in this situation. A true hydrostatic drive does not need this. It's a closed loop design that can actually increase the engine RPM's if it can't hold the speed it's going. We had machines with Cat C7 series engines bend push rods because of operators pulling the travel controller back to fast. The result was over revving the engine causing the damage.

The first time I ran my Troy Built Horse tiller it got up on its tines and took me for jog. I eventually fell down with out letting go which brought the wheels back down to the ground. Thank goodness the neighbor was not watching.
    I have been watching animations of hydraulic circuits and am just stating to understand the language and different types of valves & circuits. Apparently I can tap into the hydraulics on my 1600 by fabricating a new top for the 3 point valve or by finding the part used off of a 1600 that came with a remote option. I spent an afternoon hunting around Cook Tractor in Clinton MO. It was a lot of fun but none of their relics had the part I need.

I still haven't had a chance to change my fuel filter. I severely lacerated my arm earlier in the week and I am still on the disabled list for at least another few days while it heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The first time I ran my Troy Built Horse tiller it got up on its tines and took me for jog. I eventually fell down with out letting go which brought the wheels back down to the ground. Thank goodness the neighbor was not watching.
    I have been watching animations of hydraulic circuits and am just stating to understand the language and different types of valves & circuits. Apparently I can tap into the hydraulics on my 1600 by fabricating a new top for the 3 point valve or by finding the part used off of a 1600 that came with a remote option. I spent an afternoon hunting around Cook Tractor in Clinton MO. It was a lot of fun but none of their relics had the part I need.
    There are numerous different manufacturers of hydraulic components with virtually no interchangebility between brands. However there is standardization in fittings and couplers. But when I say standardization I mean all JIC brands interchange, ORS fittings interchange, etc. Finding the brand specific part for your tractor will probably be the needle in the haystack search. I can steer you towards one of the best hydraulic pump and motor rebuilders in the country that's not a long way from you either. (Quality Hydrostatics, O'Fallon Missouri.) They probably can't help you find your valve unless it happens to not be unique to your tractor. Another topnotch all around shop is Valtech Hydraulics off Lilac and 270 in North St Louis. They are excellent valve, and cylinder repair people.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 06-21-2024 at 3:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I still haven't had a chance to change my fuel filter. I severely lacerated my arm earlier in the week and I am still on the disabled list for at least another few days while it heals.
    Ouch! Hope you heal quickly. That sounds painful and sore.

I succeeded in rebuilding all of the cylinders on the little Yanmar backhoe attachment. I was able to find all of the seals on the web at the O-Ring Store. It was a tedious affair measuring and hunting through the options to get the correct seals. I was surprised how well rebuilding the cylinders went. Hydraulics are a remarkable invention.

Highest gas tax yet they have a toll road with tolls that are quite expensive. If I am remembering my toll roads correctly I understand the Pennsylvania Turnpike also has to turn over money to the state DOT for use on other state roads. I always hate the idea that I am paying gas tax to travel on a toll road.

I looked at taking my motorhome out east last year. Tolls would have been something like $800 from Minnesota to some place in southern Pennsylvania. Now, I would have been five axles with a trailer so that explains some of the high toll cost. I did not make the trip in part due to the cost of the tolls.
    I'm not certain but I seem to recall that a fair percentage of gas tax money goes to subsidize mass transit. Jerome is correct, it's not painful to avoid the Pennsylvania Turnpike. There are some places in the east where it is inconvenient to avoid tolls, usually near large cities or tunnels/bridges. I find it amusing that traveling between Pennsylvania and New Jersey the tolls are often one way; you can get into New Jersey for free but you have to pay to get out. I guess that made more sense when there were live toll collectors, it only required half as many toll collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I'm not certain but I seem to recall that a fair percentage of gas tax money goes to subsidize mass transit. Jerome is correct, it's not painful to avoid the Pennsylvania Turnpike. There are some places in the east where it is inconvenient to avoid tolls, usually near large cities or tunnels/bridges. I find it amusing that traveling between Pennsylvania and New Jersey the tolls are often one way; you can get into New Jersey for free but you have to pay to get out. I guess that made more sense when there were live toll collectors, it only required half as many toll collectors.
    Are the non-tolled alternatives four lane limited access expressways? It sucks to drive my 43 foot converted bus on two lane highways. It is a lot more exhausting driving on two lane highways with minimal or no shoulders than an expressway with decent shoulders. I drove hundreds of miles on a two lane highway through New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas in 2021. It sucked so bad. I very much regretted not going the extra 80 miles to I-25 up to Denver and across on I-76 and I-80 to I-35 in Des Moines, Iowa.

Are the non-tolled alternatives four lane limited access expressways? It sucks to drive my 43 foot converted bus on two lane highways. It is a lot more exhausting driving on two lane highways with minimal or no shoulders than an expressway with decent shoulders. I drove hundreds of miles on a two lane highway through New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas in 2021. It sucked so bad. I very much regretted not going the extra 80 miles to I-25 up to Denver and across on I-76 and I-80 to I-35 in Des Moines, Iowa.
    I was curious so did Google Maps twin cities to my home. The fly in the ointment is Chicago. If you know a reasonable way around that, the rest Is I-80 which AFAIK is non-toll.

I was curious so did Google Maps twin cities to my home. The fly in the ointment is Chicago. If you know a reasonable way around that, the rest Is I-80 which AFAIK is non-toll.
    I-80/90 in Indiana is the Indiana Toll Road, which then becomes the Ohio Turnpike. Don't know the toll amounts for those any more. US 30 or US 6 will get you across IN toll-free.

I-80 is tolled across Indiana and Ohio at least. Not sure about Pennsylvania. From Chicago to Shippensburg, PA is all toll road (except the last 20 miles). There is the option of dropping down to I-70 to miss most of the toll roads for an extra hundred miles.

I drove in my car to West Virginia last summer. On the way there I took the more southern route to avoid most tolls. On the way back I went to Arlington, VA first so it made sense to take the toll roads home. I spent $48 on tolls. (I have EZ-Pass even living in MN since I go through Chicago occasionally.)

I started my mower today to cut the grass. It started right up at low throttle. Close to a month ago I wasn't paying enough attention to the fuel gauge and nearly ran the mower out of fuel. (It was way below E and a wonder it was still running.) I wonder if I sucked in some air that took a while to work through the system? I will still definitely change the fuel filter once my laceration heals. I don't want to do much with my left arm as I could tear out the stitches.