Thread: Russell Morash, "father" of NYW and TOH Passed Away

Russell Morash, "father" of NYW and TOH Passed Away

I could have missed it, but I don't believe that the passing of Russell Morash (1936-2024) was noted here at SMC. My apologies if this is a repeat. Many of us have been fans and even "mentored" by Norm Abram and the New Yankee Workshop as well as have appreciated This Old House and other programs that Russell was responsible for. The physical NYW is actually in the backyard of his and Marian's home. For awhile now, he's been bringing the NYW library to YouTube including creating new content that explores many aspects of the show and workshop. I believe this one might be the last he appeared in and shows the upstairs office and a chestnut desk that Norm built long ago. This was sad news to learn for sure.

(EDIT...there was a thread about this posted in OT just a few minutes before I posted here)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-22-2024 at 12:42 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I know for a fact, I wouldn't have a standalone woodworking shop if it wasn't for Russel Morash and Norm Abram. WOW!

May he rest in a deserved peace.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, I think you speak for all of us. What a great way it was to start a Saturday morning before heading out to our shops. Truly inspirational.

So ... Humor...

No TV up in the sticks. I won't... ;-)

At my parent's on the bay, I enjoyed his presentations, PBS, some of it .... the vast majority of it ... how far beyond my competence and talent.

RIP...

Blog Entries
    The tour of the upstairs of the shop was nice.

i got a lot out of the New Yankee Workshop and the This Old House shows. I'm thankful he put those shows on for so many years. Thanks Russ.

PHM

I've been a professional woodworker for over 40 years and I still watch these shows over and over again because I am always learning something new. Watching Norm Abrams and Tom Silva is gift.

New Yankee Workshop was some of my early woodworking education. Back in the 80's I would tape the shows with my VCR (remember those) and still have a nice collection.

Perhaps more than any other, Russ Morash invented quality DIY TV. Not just as creator of This Old House and New Yankee Workshop, but earlier, Victory Garden, along with a major role in launching Julia Child. Presentation techniques Morash pioneered decades back, like cameras that got right up close to real work being done by skilled crafts and trades people who explained what they were doing, live on in some of the better YouTube channels today. And of course, his shows, and the great people he found for them, like Norm and the whole TOH crew, entertained and inspired a lot of us. He made quite a mark.