Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Epoxy Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I never said or implied that others can't make river tables or call themselves what ever they want. I also never implied that I only work with wood.
    You're a moderator, please don't associate those comments to me.

What many call "making" today, I've always heard it refereed to as either mixed media or art.

To me, the term "maker" has a diminishing or over-simplified connotation to it. Maker, might be something you would call a grade school art class.

I'm a skilled craftsmanwith years of experience in many areas, "maker" sounds like someone on YouTube looking for clicks.
    JMNSHO
    Edward, I was responding as a community member to what you wrote and what I quoted just as you did to my previous post. If I misunderstood something, I apologize. And do keep in mind that being a moderator is secondary to being a community member...and that's the primary focus of my participation here.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    Is "Epoxy Woodworker" the nice way to say "Hairpin Leg Attacher"?
    Thanks for that, some are taking this far too seriously.
    I needed the laugh.

Thanks for that, some are taking this far too seriously.
    I needed the laugh.
    Yea, I thought that was pretty funny too.

Whatever we choose to call ourselves, it doesn't really matter to anyone else but our own selves. What other's choose to call us only matters to those who choose to listen. We, as humans, are prone to thinking in binary, which is a useful tool as it encourages simplification which enables mental efficiency in our lives. Either we are or we aren't. We define things to avoid knowing those things. We don't handle uncertainty and probability well, but that is all the universe truly offers. So labels help to keep us moving along rather that stumping our minds into the unbearable infinity of available and unavailable knowledge.

Am I a maker? Did I make that? Or did the squirrel who buried that acorn that grew that tree make that? Or was it the tree, or the sun, or ordered sequence of DNA? And who's DNA? At best, I might argue that I temporarily rearranged some molecules, that will eventually decompose to their initial state of entropy. Ashes to ashes. But for a moment, I changed that. I did that. But can I truly claim to have ever made anything?

So I guess the most fundamental label for any of us is "clockmaker" or "horologist". Since all of the things we make at least serve as markers of time, both through their creation and their inevitable destruction. Beyond that fundamental truth, is not all else an opinion of perceived value? If I make a chair used to drive a nail, did I not make a hammer? What if I sold it for bread, did I not make bread? Who among us with even a modicum of humility could possibly surmise the infinity of possibilities of everyday objects or people and ascribe any kind label with even the remotest chance at accuracy or totality? These are just words. Words we ascribe to the unknowable, so we can unboggle our minds and wander free and unburdened in the light of ignorance free from the empty vastness of truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    Whatever we choose to call ourselves, it doesn't really matter to anyone else but our own selves. What other's choose to call us only matters to those who choose to listen. We, as humans, are prone to thinking in binary, which is a useful tool as it encourages simplification which enables mental efficiency in our lives. Either we are or we aren't. We define things to avoid knowing those things. We don't handle uncertainty and probability well, but that is all the universe truly offers. So labels help to keep us moving along rather that stumping our minds into the unbearable infinity of available and unavailable knowledge.

Am I a maker? Did I make that? Or did the squirrel who buried that acorn that grew that tree make that? Or was it the tree, or the sun, or ordered sequence of DNA? And who's DNA? At best, I might argue that I temporarily rearranged some molecules, that will eventually decompose to their initial state of entropy. Ashes to ashes. But for a moment, I changed that. I did that. But can I truly claim to have ever made anything?

So I guess the most fundamental label for any of us is "clockmaker" or "horologist". Since all of the things we make at least serve as markers of time, both through their creation and their inevitable destruction. Beyond that fundamental truth, is not all else an opinion of perceived value? If I make a chair used to drive a nail, did I not make a hammer? What if I sold it for bread, did I not make bread? Who among us with even a modicum of humility could possibly surmise the infinity of possibilities of everyday objects or people and ascribe any kind label with even the remotest chance at accuracy or totality? These are just words. Words we ascribe to the unknowable, so we can unboggle our minds and wander free and unburdened in the light of ignorance free from the empty vastness of truth.
    I don't know if you're a "maker" or not but you're making my head hurt.

cameron get the perfect thing. Mostly what ive had to do. I painted a kitchen I re did with a brush as I wanted to see brush marks. same with Facia didnt want it to look like aluminum or steel. I like the hand planed work from Kennebec. Its good work. Opposite to perfect and a different energy I barely look at epoxy stuff, do as interested in craft just to see what they do otherwise.

Ive worked in fiberglass and would like to try carbon fibre. Over the years for my trade ive had to sandblast and weld and more. Whatever was needed so the customer had more done by one person than a number of them. Im out doing landscape trimming trees and just finished the second large stump.

Last days saw some you tubes from a real guy. He is a cabinetmaker. He has old machines 30 -50 years old and knows what he is doing. I would not do all the same but that is normal we all have our way we work and feed material. I could watch those guys all day long compared to content creaters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood
    along with 'bespoke' (since I don't live in the UK)
    I am currently working on an item for the guy who introduced me to the word Bespoke. He is Canadian. I am feeling very honored. Would the American English translation of bespoke be custom made?
    specially made for a particular person, organization, or purpose
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-20-2024 at 8:52 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

marketing with a fancy word.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    marketing with a fancy word.
    So the guy I am making the Bespoke item for is marketing himself? I am confused.

The term "maker" makes my skin crawl.
    Me too. I agree it is pretty much all encompassing. But it still sounds too much like millennial hipster language - “influencer” language. No disrespect intended, I just dont like the term. YMMV.

Instead, I prefer to just state what I am, depending on the conversation and context. Im a woodworker. Im also a metalworker, a toolmaker, a designer and several other things. When appropriate, I combine my skills to do the best work I can.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 06-20-2024 at 8:41 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Well, I do know a lot more about you, now.

Im just referring to the word. Craftsman I know find the word a bit odd maybe used here. I guess they grew up on "custom work" and thats what they are still doing one in their mid 70's. I knew a British cabinetmaker Harry Hill. Really nice man. When i left a place he took my job. He was 83. He worked his hours reduced come in bit later and leave early to be at the pub. I never heard him say Bespoke but now would ask for sure. He had good stories. I should have been at the pub with him asking questions (too hard to get home after) and learning the mans whole history.

I like seeing Bespoke used in British Kitchens. A whole number of them doing really nice work.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 06-20-2024 at 9:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    If Bespoke is taboo my whole life has been a waste. All I have ever made is exactly what my clients have wanted or needed. With the exception of a few things I have made for myself.

The term bespoke is technically good but is the province of hipster culture in the US.

It is not in my desk dictionary, & in the unabridged it is listed as British.

It is equivalent to 'custom made'.

same here, just never used that word. Customers got detailed bills so they saw what went into their work. More than they would have figured.