Thread: Woodpecker's Ultra Shear router bits

Woodpecker's Ultra Shear router bits

1.) Woodpecker's has a flash sale today only on 1/4" shank, 1/4 inch by 3 inches long and 3 1/2 inches long and one that's 2 1/2 inches long.
    They are on sale for $10 off - normally $49 on sale for $39, $33 for the 2 1/2 inch. Plus free shipping if you spend over $50 on the bits.

I took a chance on a 3 and 3 1/2". We'll see.

Any experience from anyone with the Ultra Shear?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

No experience with those bits.
    When I need a one time bit or an experimental bit, I usually go to Amazon and buy the Yonico brand. https://www.precisionbits.com/about-our-bits.html
    They are decent bits IMO, not the best but worth much more than their price.

I also stay away from 1/4" as much as possible, especially for long buts.

Let us know how yours perform

They're quality bits made of quality steel. The steel/edge consistency throughout the bit is very good. Similar to other US made bits like Whiteside, Vortex, which I also use. I have a couple I'm testing on my CNC and I have a few 8mm versions designed specifically for the Shaper Origin. So far, no complaints.

Those are going to be real screechers! With the small grip area on a 1/4" shank, and the ease of that size shaft going into a resonance, surface finish will be poor and painful to the ear! One of my favorite pictures off a Google search when people say they have to use 1/4" shanks.
    Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 3.34.31 PM.png

I'd also be concerned with .25" shank and those long lengths. I might use one where available clearance required it, but would personally prefer something beefier for long LOC.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

1/4 inch shank is fine, just don't make too deep of a pass at once.
    I bought some of the woodpecker bits too. haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    1.) Woodpecker's has a flash sale today only on 1/4" shank, 1/4 inch by 3 inches long and 3 1/2 inches long and one that's 2 1/2 inches long.
    They are on sale for $10 off - normally $49 on sale for $39, $33 for the 2 1/2 inch. Plus free shipping if you spend over $50 on the bits.

I took a chance on a 3 and 3 1/2". We'll see.

Any experience from anyone with the Ultra Shear?