Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas on Kubota D902 engine that won't start at low throttle?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There are certainly portions of Interstate Highways that have tolls...the above mentioned Pennsylvania Turnpike is an Interstate Highway. I-76 east west from Ohio to King of Prussia where it becomes I-276 eastward until it meets I-95 and the north south portion from Plymouth Meeting up to the Scranton area is I-476.
    Just avoid Pennsaltucky

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Just avoid Pennsaltucky
    And Delaware, and Maryland and Virginia, etc...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    And Delaware, and Maryland and Virginia, etc...
    Don't forget Illinois, Indiana or Ohio.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Any diesel should have an easy access fuel filter. I've had to change the one in my truck a couple of times on the side of the road. I travel prepared for that. It's not too bad to get to.

On either tractor, the fuel filters are right on the side of the motors and you don't even have to bend over to change one.

This thread has been most useful. I have actually been looking at small tractors lately to pull a top dresser with. I'm not buying one you have to crawl under to change a fuel filter, so this gives me something else to check before buying one.

https://millcreekmfg.com

edited to add: Found this on the John Deere 1025-looks reasonable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMLi...vel%20Drive%20..
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-18-2024 at 6:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    I paid $2400 for my 1976 Ford 1600 and a woods 60" finish mower in 2018. It had just over 4000 hours at that time. I have put over 900 hours on it. All it has ever needed is fuel and the oil changed every 100 hours or so. I feel fortunate to have had such good luck. (knock on wood). If you are interested in tractors tractordata.com is a good recourse.

https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tra...ford-1600.html

Yes, I'll probably get a used one. The new ones are too complicated. My tractors were new in 1979 and 1984. Only the 70hp one has a loader. I figure I need 165 loads spread, to start with, with a top dresser. I'll need the loader to load it with screened compost. The big one is way too big at 117 hp to pull a top dresser, not to mention it would tear up the ground too much turning. I don't want to have to hitch and unhitch the same tractor to pull it with as the one loading, so need a small tractor.

Someone has a little Massey Ferguson sitting on the side of the road ten miles from here for sale. That will be the most reasonable way to do it I expect, but I haven't stopped to look at it yet. I don't even know if it's gas or diesel. I've never seen one that size. It's the same era as the old MF 175's and 275's, but I haven't even slowed up passing it enough to see the model number yet. It's a Lot smaller than a 175 even.

I don't want a hydrostatic anyway, so looks like it will be an old one.

I don't want a hydrostatic anyway, so looks like it will be an old one.
    Are you concerned a hydrostatic system won't be reliable? Or you just prefer gear drive with a clutch?
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-19-2024 at 9:23 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

I prefer a regular old style transmission with a clutch. I can replace a clutch, but don't want to worry with a more complicated transmission. I've put over 3,000 hours on my utility tractor in the 31 years I've owned it, so can operate one without thinking about it.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-19-2024 at 9:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Any diesel should have an easy access fuel filter. I've had to change the one in my truck a couple of times on the side of the road. I travel prepared for that. It's not too bad to get to.

On either tractor, the fuel filters are right on the side of the motors and you don't even have to bend over to change one.
    In this case it is definitely not easy to access. I might be able to get at it from the top if I unbolted and removed the side panel on engine compartment. Most diesel pickups have the fuel filters up top somewhere. At least the ones I owned in the past.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I prefer a regular old style transmission with a clutch. I can replace a clutch, but don't want to worry with a more complicated transmission. I've put over 3,000 hours on my utility tractor in the 31 years I've owned it, so can operate one without thinking about it.
    Our neighbor and I trade some good natured teasing. He teases me when I mess up a gear shift. I tease him when I am in low gear and step on the differential lock to get up out of a holler that he dare not take his Mahindra down into. I do want a bigger tractor with a modern transmission, power steering, a loader and hydraulic remote.
    A long time client just made me manager of his property and paid me a $5000 retainer. I am trying hard to keep from looking at used tractors right now.

Maurice, I have a diff lock on my Kubota BX22 with HST and yea, it kicks things into a different level when you need that...like when I was removing 30 tons of soil from the new shop building site and replacing it with 60 tons of 3/4 modified stone.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Don't forget telescopic drag links. They make hooking stuff up a lot easier and safer.

Both my tractors have power reversers. I wouldn't want anything else, especially with a loader. You don't have to use the clutch to change from forward to reverse. I hardly ever shift gears unless the tractor is not moving. I wouldn't want any size tractor without power steering, especially with a loader.

If you're going to get remotes, I'd say get two. I've wanted the third one sometimes. My big tractor that pulls the 15' batwing has two but needs three. One for lifting each wing, and one to control the cut height. Right now, I make out with leaving one wing down since it doesn't have to go far. If I need both wings up I have to switch lines. Also, I used to have a grading blade with hydraulic swing and tilt. Offset was manual since I only have two remotes on that tractor too, but having a third one for offset would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Our neighbor and I trade some good natured teasing. He teases me when I mess up a gear shift. I tease him when I am in low gear and step on the differential lock to get up out of a holler that he dare not take his Mahindra down into. I do want a bigger tractor with a modern transmission, power steering, a loader and hydraulic remote.
    A long time client just made me manager of his property and paid me a $5000 retainer. I am trying hard to keep from looking at used tractors right now.
    My Cub Cadet Yanmar with FWA has a differential lock. With the hydrostat it holds back on descent just as it pulls going up an incline. I can creep with the engine at full throttle and be barely moving. If your neighbor is fearful of going in to the "holler" that's not the tractor. That's the operator. However the bigger compact utilities have 3 range transmissions driven hydrostatically. So it's possible he doesn't have the gearing to pull the incline. It might stall out rather than spin out. Even with the loader on mine it will either go or spin at least 3 of 4 wheels if I engage the differential lock.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    My Cub Cadet Yanmar with FWA has a differential lock. With the hydrostat it holds back on descent just as it pulls going up an incline. I can creep with the engine at full throttle and be barely moving. If your neighbor is fearful of going in to the "holler" that's not the tractor. That's the operator. However the bigger compact utilities have 3 range transmissions driven hydrostatically. So it's possible he doesn't have the gearing to pull the incline. It might stall out rather than spin out. Even with the loader on mine it will either go or spin at least 3 of 4 wheels if I engage the differential lock.
    Yes! My neighbors constraints are common sense and another decimal point in the price tag of the tractor.
    Car enthusiasts conversation = "Nice car, how fast will it go?"
    Tractor enthusiasts conversation = "Nice tractor, how slow will it go?"

I also have a little case 220 with hydraulic drive (not hydrostatic). Beware if you head down a big hill on a Hy-Drive.

If I get into collecting small tractors a Club Cadet will be on the list!