Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planning to buy a new table saw

I have the D2057A - Heavy-Duty Mobile Base that I use, moves very easy, but would move on gravel. It is on their sale now for 99.

The minimum size of the D2057A is 20x20 and the TS I plan to buy has a 19.5x21 base. The T28000 is about the same price and can go down to 19x21.

78 years old. do you really need to not buy a saw stop so you can save for a rainy day?
    Bill D

Instead of a combo blade, I actually like the Freud Glue Line Rip blade. It has better power on ripping ops especially with a hybrid saw. I find that it does a passable job on cross cuts as well.

Prashun's post brought up something to think about. If I were planning on running that saw on 120 volts I'd want a 20 amp circuit and very little if anything on that circuit besides the saw. Lights aren't supposed to dim when you press the 'start' button. If you have 240 volts, never mind. If you were to go with a 3 h.p. saw like SawStop, you wouldn't have a choice. They're 240 volt only.

I'd grab an extra $100 bill and see if you can't convince the delivery guy to haul it back to your basement. Or, ask your neighbors for help. Even if they're too old to help, they might know someone or have kids nearby that could help.

But yeah, I'd just buy a new fence. Cheaper and easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Instead of a combo blade, I actually like the Freud Glue Line Rip blade. It has better power on ripping ops especially with a hybrid saw. I find that it does a passable job on cross cuts as well.
    Normally, I prefer to use an 80 tooth Tenryu blade for plywood veneer and a 50 tooth Tenryu SL-25550TC blade for all hardwood, for both ripping and cross cut. It has produced a perfect glue line in every hardwood I have used, including 8/4 maple. I once used one of these 50 tooth blades for an entire large kitchen in walnut. I used only only blade for the entire project, cutting all the solid walnut face frames as well as all the pre-finished maple plywood cabinet interiors along with the A1 Walnut veneered plywood outside panels. When cutting veneer plywood, as long as I slowed down the feed rate, the cut was perfectly clean at the top and bottom of the cut. When I took mine into my sharpening service, which is a Tenryu dealer but didn't carry this particular blade, I told them about how well it worked for me. They decided to bring a few in and see well they sold. They currently can't keep them on the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by John Totten View Post
    The minimum size of the D2057A is 20x20 and the TS I plan to buy has a 19.5x21 base. The T28000 is about the same price and can go down to 19x21.
    I'm two towns away, please reach out and I'd be happy to help you move things.

Jlanciani at Gmail dot com

I just found out that Grizzly would ship the table saw by harbor freight to the curb only and I have a 900 foot gravel driveway with a slight incline in one spot. So I'd probably need a fork lift to get it to my house. My neighbor has a backhoe, maybe that would work. The crate is 371 lbs.
    Last edited by John Totten; 06-17-2024 at 8:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Backhoe with a loader? Solved. Chain or strap it in the loader bucket. He might even have forks for the loader.

Quote Originally Posted by John Totten View Post
    I just found out that Grizzly would ship the table saw by harbor freight to the curb only and I have a 900 foot gravel driveway with a slight incline in one spot. So I'd probably need a fork lift to get it to my house. My neighbor has a backhoe, maybe that would work. The crate is 371 lbs.
    All of the delivery companies say 'curb side' It kind of means - no stairs. I think most people here could agree with me that the delivery guys will do their best to get it into a garage if they can roll their pallet jack on the surface - gravel might be an issue. Also, while I know you are not interested in a sawstop due to the cost, one slip and your going to pay a lot more (not just in money) if you have an accident.

As far as a blade is concerned, Ridge Carbide or Forrest. Other slightly better priced alternatives would be Frued (not diablo versions) and people also like CMT.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

You go John. I am 78 and run an online woodworking business as a sole proprietor. It is time to spend your kids inheritance on yourself. I am old so I need to buy a Sawstop.......really!

I keep a Forest combination blade on my Grizzly table saw. Have fun!!!
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

Yes, all of us that have a table saw which we really like, would also really like you to join our club. It looks to me that you have covered your bases: know what you intend to do with the saw, found one that will work for you wrt price and features, checked for input that it is a reliable vendor, and not a lemon. Find some good help and/or equipment to get it moved in, and enjoy. I do agree that a top quality blade makes a difference.

Terry T.

(I myself use a sliding table saw, for some of the same safety reasons as the sawstop crowd. But we don't need to go there -- that particular sect of the 'best table saw' debate could turn this into a 20 page thread! I like mine, but not at the "come to Jesus" level.)