Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What hand tool skill do you want to Learn?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Two main topics are on my list: Chair Making, preferably a Windsor Rocker, and turning green wood. I built a pretty rough shaving horse a few years back and I have most of the chair making tools except an Adze and Travisher. Rumor has it, I’m getting a scorp for Father’s Day. A spring pole lathe is on the list. I have a lot of room to grow my basic hand tool skills. I’ve told my self no more draw knives or spoke shaves until I build my first chair! Though I may either rehab my froe or buy a “new to me” one.
    Oooooh- I want to see how to build a Windsor rocker!!! Come on Joe, you can do it - we believe it you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    I appreciate your perspective Maurice- removing layout marks seems pretty standard. However, I personally like to leave the baseline marking gauge line because it confirms the DT’s were hand cut. Jig or machine doesn’t require baseline layout. In the same way, I like finding layout marks on non show sides of antiques- connection to craftsman of previous era.

Cheers, Mike
    I leave the baseline mark on hand cut dovetails, also, just to show they were hand cut. Another thing you can do is to make the tails different sizes. By that, I mean maybe a large one in the center and smaller ones coming out from that, or a mix of large and small. Things that would be difficult to do with a jig. But having a mix of tail sizes without any pattern just looks sloppy (to me).

Finally, the space between the tails is always an indicator. Any tails cut with a router have to have a space as wide as the shaft of the router bit, and that's usually 1/2 inch. If you want to really show off, you can make that space as thin as the saw plate.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    If you want to really show off, you can make that space as thin as the saw plate.
    Or you can make different shaped tails.

100_2476.jpg

The story on these is here > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?135061

Different shapes can be used. One could even use a dowel cutter bit and have a hole in the middle of a tail.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen thomas View Post
    Inlay fitting, that is actually quite good.
    Sanded flush should be even better.
    Although if it is dyed wood, might be messy/bleed?
    Thanks for the heads up about bleed! I put some red back with a Sharpie.
    Sharpie + lacquer = tears of a clown. Sharpie + Smiths epoxy = OK.

IMG_2043.jpg IMG_2040.jpg IMG_2041.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Or you can make different shaped tails.

100_2476.jpg

The story on these is here > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?135061
    That is Adorable! I love the hearts. Before I learned that Antonio Stradivari incorporated hearts into his work I made a few heart inlays in silver. Now I am too intimidated to inlay another heart.

Screen Shot 2024-06-17 at 7.19.40 PM.jpg
    http://www.sabionari.com/
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-17-2024 at 8:37 PM.