Thread: Old Bandsaw, Mystery Manufacturer

Old Bandsaw, Mystery Manufacturer

Picked up this old 9" bandsaw at the local Restore. Cast Aluminum frame, wheels, and table. Wheels have drill holes from someone's mostly successful attempt at balancing it. The upper guide system looks relatively sophisticated for something that old. The previous owner fabricated a sliding mount for the motor to be able to adjust belt tension.

It's made by Aldens Tool of Chicago, IL. I have been unable to find any information about it, including on OWWM. I'm wondering if it's a relabeled tool manufactured by someone else, like Duro. Anyone ever hear of Aldens, or seen a lookalike by another manufacturer?

Edit: Never mind, it looks like it's a Wards Power-Kraft clone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Schaefer; 06-12-2024 at 12:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Neat-O! This looks close, although it appears to be bigger.

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=12297

Screen Shot 2024-06-12 at 7.23.33 AM 2.jpg

Another that is described as:
    • Antique rotaing Jiw Saw MODEL ELCEL-600

Screen Shot 2024-06-12 at 7.35.39 AM.jpg

another:
    Ward’s Power Kraft
    Model # B4TT12316
    Screen Shot 2024-06-12 at 7.41.22 AM.png
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-12-2024 at 8:46 AM.

Google says Aldens was a Chicago department store. Maybe a store branded machine made by someone else.
    BilL D.
    https://www.aldentool.com/

Blog Entries
    It sure looks bigger than 9 inch. I think it is a good find. The guides are way better than those on my little antique. I had the opportunity to use mine that is similar several times this week. It makes me smile every time : )

No, it's 9". Maybe 9.25". On initial inspection, it looks like the drive pulley wobbles, and there might be a small crack in the rim of the upper wheel. If both of those turn out to be solvable, I think it'll be a good tool for small jobs and curved cuts that I don't want to use the 14" Rikon for.

Also, it looks cool.

Blog Entries
    I hope it takes a standard length blade. My little saw takes a 62" which is easy to find. There are good sources for made to order blades if need be.

From what I've read, it takes a 60" blade.

I'm a little concerned about this damage to the wheel rim. It doesn't look like it goes any deeper towards the center, but I'm not sure if there's any cracking extending under the tire.20240616_171309.jpg

Blog Entries
    I can't see that real clearly. Could it be a flaw or void in the casting? I broke the trunnions on mine. They were repaired with J B Weld and some 1/8" flat aluminum that I perforated to give the J B weld more grip. So far so good. My lesson on how not to move a band saw came early and cheap.