Thread: This is a dumb question.

This is a dumb question.

I'm aware that what I'm asking doesn't likely exist...had a room redone at the lake in T&G pine. I kinda want to white wash it but I'm not sure and I know there is no going back. Is there any sort of finish I could put on it to protect it that would NOT impede my ability to white wash it if I decided to later? I think not, right? Without having to sand back an entire room of T&G pine...

I would think not. but sanding back a clear finish may be easier than the white. There are lots of options with partial whites something like 5% smoke may give you a hint of what your after but not overdoing it.

https://www.rubiomonocoatusa.com/pag...cies=white-oak

I take it back I was looking at Oak With pine im not as sure. The colors are a lot closer and harder to visualize over larger area

If you seal it well first, you could glaze it with a white stain that could be stripped off chemically or sanded later and get you back to clean wood. Would I want to do something like that. No way.

John

Blog Entries
    I have always done pickling on bare wood and glazing on sealed wood. The range of affects can vary a lot depending on techniques and products. One product I gave up on long ago is varnish stain (pollyshades etc.) which is alleged to be a one step shortcut to a two step process. Even very diluted pickling stain has a pleasant effect on T&G pine. I have done a lot with both waterborne and oil. I dilute waterborne pickling stain with Flowtrol & water. Oil I dilute with Penatrol and thinner. You can make your own whitewash by watering down paint. You do not get the control that real pickling stain provides. My pickling stain of choice is is Old Masters oil based.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    I'm aware that what I'm asking doesn't likely exist...had a room redone at the lake in T&G pine. I kinda want to white wash it but I'm not sure and I know there is no going back. Is there any sort of finish I could put on it to protect it that would NOT impede my ability to white wash it if I decided to later? I think not, right? Without having to sand back an entire room of T&G pine...
    Soap would be a perfect fit.

Soap finishes are popular in Scandinavia and in areas with a large Scandinavian population. Just do a Google search for how to apply a soap finish.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon