Thread: outdoor table top help

outdoor table top help

This has been outdoors @ a month now. Built from Cypress with "One Time" finish. There was no cracking in it when glued up. I used a butt joint on the top and the width of the frame is @ 5-1/4" wide not counting the lip the marble insert sets on. Was thinking of using miter corners, but thought better of it and went with butt joints. Two dominos in each corner joint.

Pictures show four spots where I now have cracking after a month. Anything I can do to relieve the stresses or keep water from penetrating inside the wood?

Thanks.

Brian

20240617_075038.jpg20240617_075046.jpg20240617_075103.jpg20240617_075152.jpg
    Brian

Hi Brian, those look like cracks from the wood drying, which means the wood wasn’t dry enough when you made the table.

I don’t use film forming finishes outdoors, I use a penetrating type finish.

Yo may be able to rip out the cracks and recluse the top if you want.

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Brian, those look like cracks from the wood drying, which means the wood wasn’t dry enough when you made the table.
    I don’t use film forming finishes outdoors, I use a penetrating type finish.

Yo may be able to rip out the cracks and recluse the top if you want.
    It was in my garage on a lumber rack for 6+ years and in my basement shop for 2-3 months before using it.

I forget who (i'm old), but someone here said they had used this on an outdoor table and had no mildew for 3+ years. Has a 7 year guarantee. I used a marine stain on the previous table and the legs were black from mildew after 1 year. Take a router and a straight edge and plunge route the crack out and fill it with a cypress patch? Thanks. Brian
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-17-2024 at 11:47 AM. Reason: fixed quote taggin
    Brian

It was me that recommended One-Time. For those unfamiliar with it, it's a penetrating acrylic that cures by UV light, not a film forming finish.

The cracks you now have are from the wood drying out. I had the same thing happen with some black locust that was air dry that I used to build a piece of outdoor furniture. Once the sun got on it, many stress cracks developed. I did have a film finish on that project and, yep, water got in/under it and required quite a bit of work to make sort of right.

In your case, I would try brushing One Time into those cracks. It's worth a shot before taking more drastic actions.

John

Does outdoors mean direct sunlight? Basement shops get really humid in the Midwest in the summer. 2-3 months would be enough for the wood to pick up some moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Does outdoors mean direct sunlight? Basement shops get really humid in the Midwest in the summer. 2-3 months would be enough for the wood to pick up some moisture.
    My dehumidifier is set at 50% year round? Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    It was me that recommended One-Time. For those unfamiliar with it, it's a penetrating acrylic that cures by UV light, not a film forming finish.

The cracks you now have are from the wood drying out. I had the same thing happen with some black locust that was air dry that I used to build a piece of outdoor furniture. Once the sun got on it, many stress cracks developed. I did have a film finish on that project and, yep, water got in/under it and required quite a bit of work to make sort of right.

In your case, I would try brushing One Time into those cracks. It's worth a shot before taking more drastic actions.

John
    Think I will try injecting finish in the cracks and live with it. I will cover it during the winter. Next table aluminum!

Thanks brian
    Brian

Why are the boards so wide Brian.
    There plenty of good outdoor table designs to follow. Never can we make a table outdoor like one indoor unless the parts are unusually large. Picnic tables are probably the best example. For a more refined table look at any example sold at the pottery barn or crate and barrel. Real teak or plantation grown the parts are small maybe 1 1/2 wide a exception for the legs. I could go on and on. I think I’ve made my point
    Good Luck
    Aj

Does the board in the second photo include the pith?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Why are the boards so wide Brian.
    There plenty of good outdoor table designs to follow. Never can we make a table outdoor like one indoor unless the parts are unusually large. Picnic tables are probably the best example. For a more refined table look at any example sold at the pottery barn or crate and barrel. Real teak or plantation grown the parts are small maybe 1 1/2 wide a exception for the legs. I could go on and on. I think I’ve made my point
    Good Luck
    The marble was 36" square and I wanted the table to be at least 44" . The 2 x stock let me go that wide so I did. Brian
    Brian

I was thinking you made the top out of pieces that wide. I don’t why but that’s what I was thinking I apologize for my mistake.
    I do sorta remember you asking about building a outdoor table last month. Wider pieces around the perimeter of outdoor tables is pretty common I think.
    At my home I have a deck made from port orford cedar every board has cracks but the stock is 1 inch thick so it’s still good for walking.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I was thinking you made the top out of pieces that wide. I don’t why but that’s what I was thinking I apologize for my mistake.
    I do sorta remember you asking about building a outdoor table last month. Wider pieces around the perimeter of outdoor tables is pretty common I think.
    At my home I have a deck made from port orford cedar every board has cracks but the stock is 1 inch thick so it’s still good for walking.
    Good Luck
    No worries, I think it will be OK, stock is 2 x, but pi---s me off it starts to crack one month into using it. Oh well, wood being used outdoors. Brian
    Brian