Thread: "....down by the Green River where Paradise lay....."

"....down by the Green River where Paradise lay....."

I can't remember how many times I saw him in concert. His songs always struck a deep chord with me, beginning with Sam Stone.

This bit from NPR today really caught my attention. They're erecting a statue of him where Paradise lay, before Mr. Peabody's coal train had hauled it away.

I you are aggravated because I did not mention his name, then you've missed a huge part of Americana-country-folk music, and can profitably spend several hours catching up.

I was delighted to learn of the Everly Brothers' connection.

Siiigh.......

https://www.npr.org/2024/06/16/nx-s1...and-john-prine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAwUN_sG1G4
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    He played at our Roots and Blues Festival several times. Ms. got to attend in 2014 and 2017. For some stupid reason I did not go. Here I am getting another reminder of what a shame it is that I missed Him. : (

IMG_20171001_184954690_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-16-2024 at 3:13 PM. Reason: Image

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    He played at our Roots and Blues Festival several times. Ms. got to attend in 2014 and 2017. For some stupid reason I did not go. Here I am getting another reminder of what a shame it is that I missed Him. : (
    "....I'm sorry, my son, but you're too late in asking....."

Yeah, well, I've read most, if not all, of your posts, and you've seen and done much more important musical stuff than I. Your karma is in balance. Carry on.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

An American original, so many great songs. I guess my favorite is Angel from Montgomery​, but I can't think of any bad ones. Thanks for the links.

Bowl of oatmeal tried to stare me down...and won.

Hate mornings like that. Somehow he always made me feel better.

Sounds like J. P. to me.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

"I don't think that you know that I think you don't know" has always been one I particularly enjoyed.

IIRC, I first heard a John Prine song, Muhlenburg County, on a cassette tape of bluegrass greatest hits. I found the lyrics and his voice haunting. Another similar singer/songwriter whose folk music/folk rock songs and voice could grab my attention was Canadian Gordan Lightfoot.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-17-2024 at 11:50 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    .......... my favorite is Angel from Montgomery​.......
    Years back, he was asked what was his favorite cover of one of his songs.

Answered that hands down, it was Bonnie Raitt with Angel from Montgomery. Had the good fortune of seeing her live performance of that song nearly 30 years ago. Also saw him perform it live 15 years ago.

If you haven't heard her version, its worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Years back, he was asked what was his favorite cover of one of his songs.

Answered that hands down, it was Bonnie Raitt with Angel from Montgomery. Had the good fortune of seeing her live performance of that song nearly 30 years ago. Also saw him perform it live 15 years ago.

If you haven't heard her version, its worth the time.
    Yes, I first heard her version of that song before I was really aware of John Prine. That and her cover of John Hiatt's "Thing Called Love" must have done a lot for both writers' recognition and royalties.

Some may be interested in this radio program: https://www.wortfm.org/show/back-to-the-country/ My favorite hosts are Bill and Bobby Malone. Bill was a consultant to Ken Burns on his film about folk music. Bobby is a huge fan of the Everly Brothers. They used to do the show weekly when they lived in Madison but now have moved back to Texas so only do it once a month. Older shows are in the archives for a couple of weeks.

This YouTube video is Angel from Montgomery performed by one of my favorite cover bands, Foxes and Fossils.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkjFgO-v1O0&t=27s

Someone mentioned Gordon Lightfoot, another one of my favorite performers. He wrote and performed a song called "On Susan's Floor" that was about a woman in Nashville who always had room for starving artists, a place to get out of the weather and commune with other performers. It was very common at one period of time to find Gordon Lightfoot, Willy Nelson, Waylon Jennings and a long list of people who eventually made it big in the music business sleeping on her living room floor. When she died they gave her one of the most expensive funerals in the history of Nashville, she was a generous woman who was loved by all.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-18-2024 at 10:46 AM.

Didnt know the story on that song so thanks for bringing it up. Friends sister is a long time musician friend and think Gordon helped them or vice versa.

One of his songs I always liked was "youve been talking in your sleep" Im drawn more to songs like paintings hearing chords and changes more than words. Mom gave me hell for that at one point so stated to listen to what they had to say.

Had the pleasure of seeing him a few years back in Pittsburgh at the Benedum Center with my son. Was truly saddened at his passing in 2020. My favorite was "Far From Me." "Ain't it funny how an old broken bottle ...looks just like a diamond ring."