Thread: Small Cherry Bowl

Small Cherry Bowl

I'm Making a hall/entry table and this is an offcut from the top. Its 6 inches across and about 2 inches deep (just shy of). The slab was cut down in 1970 and air dried until I machined it about a month ago. Critique is more than welcome and thanks for looking.
    cherry1.jpg
    cherry2.jpg
    cherry3.jpg
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nice, very nice

Excellent form and a great piece of material that will age nicely.
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Looks good, will make a nice piece for your entry table.
    Only critique is that it appears to be thick but that may not be a bad thing for a hall table. You don't need it moving around every time you throw your keys in it. I think you could have lightened it up a bit more but that's just nit picking.
    Nice story to go with it.

Thanks everyone...

Edward, sides and bottom are about 3/16ths. I think the rim is making it look chunky?

Also, the entry table isn't for me, it's to be sold. The bowl I'm keeping lol.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Thanks everyone...

Edward, sides and bottom are about 3/16ths. I think the rim is making it look chunky?

Also, the entry table isn't for me, it's to be sold. The bowl I'm keeping lol.
    I guess it's an optical illusion making me think it's thicker than it is. Nice work

Than you, sir. I'm really enjoying this journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I guess it's an optical illusion making me think it's thicker than it is. Nice work

Nicely presented.

Thank you for the kind words.

John. i would not say "chunky", although i am surprised it is mostly 3/16ths. It looks solid and very appealing.

Chunky would be my reflection in a mirror. Your bowl is MUCH more curvaceous and sexy.

Best, Patrick

Patrick, that's quite a compliment - thank you kindly. Some explanation on thickness. The very bottom of the bowl (so the area inside the foot) is 3/16ths along with the very middle of the side. The rim and the rounded outside corner are much "thicker" as I didn't follow the outside curve on the inside. I'm still learning and was worried I'd screw it up if I took it further... bad on me for the cold feet, I'll push further next time.

Edit: I have back surgery scheduled next week so that's it for a while but I should be back in the shop come fall and I plan on spending quite a bit of time on my lathe so I'll post what I can.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 06-15-2024 at 1:26 PM.

"... bad on me for the cold feet, I'll push further next time."

Art often time requires boldness. You might consider your finished form a bold presentations. Channel your inner Bob Ross, "No mistakes..."