Thread: 80's Wood etching

80's Wood etching

Not sure I've found a correct forum yet, but here goes try #2. We bought a mid-1980's condo with an original front door that is the same on ALL the units. The middle panel has a magnificent engraving that is considered "legacy" by everyone living there and no intentions of ever replacing them. We have no problem with that. However, our unit is one that juts out further from others and the sun has done a real number on our etching. Most of the stain color is completely gone except for a small portion. I'd LOVE to find a way to clean, condition and restore it to looking HEALTHY, most of all. The color can be addressed, if necessary, once I feel it's healthy again. It's VERY dry looking. But the etches are so close together and imho, deep and I'm not sure how to go about conditioning it down in those deep cuts. I'm afraid to try things since I don't know what I'm doing and I certainly don't want to ruin it further. Especially since a new door isn't in the near future. ANY advice???

Blog Entries
    A picture and description of how the door is constructed would help me think about your project. It has been a while since I worked at Condo Complex. I happen to be working at one now and am getting re-acquainted with condo association etiquette. The engraving sounds neat. I would like to see it. If I can't help another Creeker most likely can.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Scotty, your original post was moved from the Laser forum to the Finishing forum.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....65-Please-Help
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino