Thread: Please Help

Please Help

We bought a mid-1980's condo with an original front door that is the same on ALL the units. The middle panel has a magnificent engraving that is considered "legacy" by everyone living there and no intentions of ever replacing them. We have no problem with that. However, our unit is one that juts out further from others and the sun has done a real number on our etching. I'd LOVE to find a way to clean, condition and restore it to looking HEALTHY, most of all. It's VERY dry looking. But the etches are so close together and imho, deep and I'm not sure how to go about conditioning it down in those deep cuts. I'm afraid to try things since I don't know what I'm doing and I certainly don't want to ruin it further. Especially since a new door isn't in the near future. ANY advice??? Sure wish I could show a pic of what I'm talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Scotty Strickland; 06-13-2024 at 5:37 PM.

Thank you Mike Chance. I will find that forum. I got an email with your reply but when I hit the link and come here, I do not see your reply. Glad I had replies sent to me. It's a hard site to navigate, for me, anyway.

I hate to be another one to send you somewhere else....but....this is something you should find out from a local source, not via an internet forum.
    I suggest taking that picture to a local Sherwin Williams paint store and talk it over with them.

I'm not sure what it is exactly you want to do & "discussing" it via writing back and forth isn't a good way to do it.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    I just did a touch-up on a fiberglass door that has faux woodgrain stain followed by Waterborne Urethane Spar Varnish. The Urethane was flaking and peeling in the corners. I carefully rubbed the door with red Scotch Brite to remove the flakes, did some touch up with brown paints and a tiny brush, then applied a coat of Waterborne Spar Urethane. It looks nice for now. Fingers crossed for durability. The home owners are considering an awning to protect the door from sun and rain.

Screen Shot 2024-06-15 at 7.06.24 AM.jpg

Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Adding a storm door is another opinion. They can create a solar oven and would also obscure the view.

Looks like one of the moderators deleted my post suggesting this be moved to the appropriate forum.

I do not have restoration skills like the others on this forum, but what about Liquid Gold Wood Cleaner and Preservative? I have had great success with it on old wood items that have been stored indoors. As the label says, it both cleans and preserves.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."