Thread: router shuts itself off

router shuts itself off

My router suddenly developed a power problem. When I turn it on it starts, but shuts off before it's up to speed. I've tried a different extension cord, so that's not the problem.
    Maybe the power switch?

It's a Porter-Cable 8529.

I had a similar problem and found a broken wire in the router. It is an older one and the wire was brittle. Repair was simple to redo the wire and all good.

Just a thought, good luck!
    Chris

Could very easily be the control board. Maybe just the potentiometer on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Could very easily be the control board. Maybe just the potentiometer on the board.
    The P-C 7529 & 8529 were notorious for speed control problems. I have an 8529 that developed a problem. My fix was to remove the speed control board and wire straight thru. I bought an external speed controller in case I needed to slow it down. The problem in some cases with the speed control was failing capacitors. Computer motherboards suffered the same plague. If you could determine the problem, a couple $1 capacitors fixed the problem. Unfortunately for me, I disposed of the speed control before I heard about the capacitor problem so don't know if that was my problem or not. The 8529 is a pretty nice router, plunge only like the DeWalt 621(?).

If the router has been well used, I'd start by replacing the brushes.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    The P-C 7529 & 8529 were notorious for speed control problems. I have an 8529 that developed a problem. My fix was to remove the speed control board and wire straight thru. I bought an external speed controller in case I needed to slow it down. The problem in some cases with the speed control was failing capacitors. Computer motherboards suffered the same plague. If you could determine the problem, a couple $1 capacitors fixed the problem. Unfortunately for me, I disposed of the speed control before I heard about the capacitor problem so don't know if that was my problem or not. The 8529 is a pretty nice router, plunge only like the DeWalt 621(?).
    ^^ THIS ^^

Check the brushes but what you describe sounds like a bad capacitor on the control board.