Thread: Please honor Memorial Day

Please honor Memorial Day

Please take a few minutes out of your day to honor the memory of those who fought and died for your freedom. To me it is not a "Happy" Memorial Day and I cringe when I hear that appellation. For me it is a somber day and one of reflection. I will attend our town's small memorial service in from of the flag pole and wars memorial. I will hang my old dog tags around my neck and wear them all day to remind myself of the past. I will remove from my wallet the list of 25 Marine and Navy Corpsman who I served with whose names are forever engraved on black granite and read them to myself. It is a reminder of how lucky I was to come home whole and how my friends never got the chance to live to an old age. Why do I keep this list with me always? Because it is an article of faith among Marines that as long as we remember our fallen they have not died in vain and will live forever.

And my parents:
    Raymond Anderson Electricians Mate 3 USS Blenny SS324 1943-46
    Eleanor Anderson Yeoman Q 2 Cryptographic Section Navy Dept 1942-45

Dave Anderson Cpl USMC
    B 1/7 1968
    1st Combined Action Group 1969
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 05-27-2024 at 8:29 AM.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I will also respect this day, as a day to remember those who made the supreme sacrifice protecting our homeland and way of life. The closest family loss to me was my Fathers older brother who died in Germany in WWII and a few friends from the Vietnam era. Members of my family have served in every conflict since the Revolutionary war, protecting our Freedom is a terrible burden that most will never understand. I served in the US Navy, my Dad served in the Navy in WWII and Korea and my Father in law was a POW in Germany in WWII. My brother in law served in Vietnam and Cambodia and I have several cousins who served in Vietnam as well. I know these people and how much they suffered, and never have asked for respect or even a simple thank you for their service. Many will suffer terribly today as they remember their friends and family that lost their lives protecting their country.

My Grandmother's brother, Robert Galipeau, was from the tiny town of Coleraine, Minnesota. He enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force as an American citizen long before the attack on Pearl Harbor and thus long before the US entered WWII.

He was a gunner and wireless operator in a Wellington bomber squadron at Stratford Upon Avon, England.

Robert's bomber went down over the North Sea returning from a mission over Bremen. His was the only body recovered when found on a beach in occupied Denmark. His grave is on the island of Romo.

Thank you for your ultimate sacrifice in the name of freedom, Robert. We remember you.

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    A friend of mine said it well on his page.

Memorial Day - Real Meaning.jpg

I'm thankful, for all in my family who have served have come back home.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Every Memorial Day I think of those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom. One HS classmate, Gary Glassford, with whom I hunted, fished and camped, I remember with a mixture of fondness and sadness.

Some may disagree, I also think of those whose bodies came back alive but their souls, their spirits remain on those far away battlefields due PTSD.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Something for today's remembrance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoYZYWTPGM0
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Semper Fi Dave.

For those who don’t have a personal connection to the military, look up a Medal of Honor citation.

Here’s one that stuck with me -

“For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as commanding officer of the U.S.S. Johnston in action against major units of the Japanese fleet during the battle off Samar on 25 October 1944. The first to lay a smoke screen and to open fire as an enemy task force, vastly superior in number, firepower, and armor, rapidly approached, Comdr. Evans gallantly diverted the powerful blasts of hostile guns from the lightly armed and armored carriers under his protection, launching the first torpedo attack when the Johnston came under straddling Japanese shellfire. Undaunted by damage sustained under the terrific volume of fire, he unhesitatingly joined others of his group to provide fire support during subsequent torpedo attacks against the Japanese and, outshooting and outmaneuvering the enemy as he consistently interposed his vessel between the hostile fleet units and our carriers despite the crippling loss of engine power and communications with steering aft, shifted command to the fantail, shouted steering orders through an open hatch to men turning the rudder by hand, and battled furiously until the Johnston, burning and shuddering from a mortal blow, lay dead in the water after three hours of fierce combat. Seriously wounded early in the engagement, Comdr. Evans, by his indomitable courage and brilliant professional skill, aided materially in turning back the enemy during a critical phase of the action. His valiant fighting spirit throughout this historic battle will venture as an inspiration to all who served with him.“

The Wikipedia article gives additional details:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_E._Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Semper Fi Dave.

For those who don’t have a personal connection to the military, look up a Medal of Honor citation.

Here’s one that stuck with me -

“For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as commanding officer of the U.S.S. Johnston in action against major units of the Japanese fleet during the battle off Samar on 25 October 1944. The first to lay a smoke screen and to open fire as an enemy task force, vastly superior in number, firepower, and armor, rapidly approached, Comdr. Evans gallantly diverted the powerful blasts of hostile guns from the lightly armed and armored carriers under his protection, launching the first torpedo attack when the Johnston came under straddling Japanese shellfire. Undaunted by damage sustained under the terrific volume of fire, he unhesitatingly joined others of his group to provide fire support during subsequent torpedo attacks against the Japanese and, outshooting and outmaneuvering the enemy as he consistently interposed his vessel between the hostile fleet units and our carriers despite the crippling loss of engine power and communications with steering aft, shifted command to the fantail, shouted steering orders through an open hatch to men turning the rudder by hand, and battled furiously until the Johnston, burning and shuddering from a mortal blow, lay dead in the water after three hours of fierce combat. Seriously wounded early in the engagement, Comdr. Evans, by his indomitable courage and brilliant professional skill, aided materially in turning back the enemy during a critical phase of the action. His valiant fighting spirit throughout this historic battle will venture as an inspiration to all who served with him.“

The Wikipedia article gives additional details:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_E._Evans
    Thanks Keegan. The book he references, The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, is a good read but heartbreaking. Unbelievable courage and determination.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-27-2024 at 8:15 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Late to comment as usual. Than you to those that served but yesterday was for those who served and gave all. I think so many don't even get that significance. The name "Memorial Day" should be a clue. My only connection to military service is my uncle who served during the Korean conflict. My parents both worked at Camp Ellis a German POW camp here in Illinois. My father during construction and after it opened and my Mother after it opened. I realize that isn't military service and would never claim it as such. The point is that it's just another paid day off from work for many and they give little thought to what it means and the ultimate sacrifice made. We are fortunate to have a national cemetery a few mile from here. It dates back to Civil war times. Most of us in the Eastern half of the country can also go to about any cemetery and soon locate grave markers for fallen soldiers. Many from the Civil war, but for most wars up until at least Vietnam. The markers are easy to spot. Always white and sometimes weathered to the point of being almost illegible. Our great country is free because many before us gave their ALL and many more gave some. To all I feel great respect and gratitude because we might not have the freedoms to do what we do without these sacrifices.

I walked in a local Memorial Day parade yesterday that ended at a local cemetery. There was a ceremony at the cemetery complete with gun salute and the playing of taps. Attendance was down over previous years due to rain. Most years people in the houses along the short parade route will join the parade to walk to cemetery, but not this year. We had a line of cars at the back of the parade with people who didn't want to walk in the rain. I have been going to this event nearly every year for 40 years now. I joined the Boy Scouts in 1984 and they participated in the parade which got me started. My parents also go every year.

The local Eagles club serves hot dogs and chips after the ceremony.