Thread: New Workbench Accessories

New Workbench Accessories

Took the long weekend to work on a couple of workbench accessories/attachments to my newly built workbench:

• What I'm calling "the panel lift" attachment
    • 6 20mm dogs with stainless steel inserts which are easily removed with a magnet

The panel lift will probably go down as one of the best $200 I've spent in a long, LONG time. It is of my own design/construction made entirely of 15-series extrusion. It takes less than 1 minute to attach to my bench and it allows me to "flip" a full sheet onto the bench for rip/crosscuts with minimal effort and ZERO damage to the panel. It removes just as quickly and is small enough, I can store with my sheet goods or hang it on the wall if I decide to go that route. Seriously, I cannot believe how robust the design is and how easy it is to slide a sheet on (and even off) the bench.

Here is a picture with the accessory attached. The workbench is a beast and even when the panel is loaded, it doesn't move a mm.

Here is the sheet loaded. I designed it to be canted by 5-degrees, so the panel will just sit there. Rubber feet keep the panel from sliding off or being damaged.

Then, with VERY little effort, just grab the bottom of the panel, rotate it up and push the sheet onto the bench. The "panel flip" accessory, when extended, is about 1/16" lower than the bench top so it slides easily and doesn't damage the bottom in any way. This sheet of quarter sawn white oak is very expensive, so managing panels without damaging them was a major design consideration.

Here is a closeup of it stowed away, ready to attach whenever I need it.

I'm not a big "dog hole" user myself. Several years ago I had a Paulk inspired workbench and I personally just hated the Swiss cheese configuration. A workbench is quite personal, so others may like it, but I don't. However there are occasions I need a couple dogs for some accessories or clamping. So I drilled out 6 of them and utilize Benchdogs UK stainless steel plugs when they're not in use.

Here is an example of a Harvey clamp (love these things, strong and super fast to clamp/unclamp) along with a Kreg Automaxx clamp, which I use 95% of the time.

Here is a set of fence dogs that hold a piece of extrusion that allows me to crosscut any length/size of ply. I don't crosscut very often, but when I do, this comes in super handy. I use it along with my Dashboard bracket. I do have an attachable extension to catch the offcut but it's not shown (same for when I rip cut).

So you kicked that up a few more notches!!! That lift is great!

I do have a "Swiss Cheese" worksurface but recently purchased a bunch of 3D printed plugs that work with the chamfer that the UJK chamfering reamer provides for bench dogs that take advantage of that. They slip in flush like that stainless steel version you have and remove with a magnet. Regardless of the product used, they are a great way to keep things from falling through unused dog holes for sure.

Dog-Plugs.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-27-2024 at 9:39 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim! Yea the lift is awesome. I didn’t realize the plugs you had were magnetic. Those really are cool and if you have a lot more holes more economical.

Yes, I like the magnetic feature as it makes it a snap to remove a plug when the hole needs to be used. They came from a fellow trading as Bad Yorkie Woodworking. He does all kinds of shop useful 3D printed stuff.
    --

Pretty amazing looking bench, Michael, and keeps getting better.

I'm a little confused, though. What is the rotating piece that is attached to the horizontal and vertical extrusions that rotates?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Thanks Alan. The rotating components had attachments on both sides so I just added that horizontal piece. Besides adding some horizontal rigidity, it just "follows" the two, main vertical pieces. It just flipped down after the sheet slid onto the bench in the pic. Oh and it acts like a handle when carrying or attaching

Major cool bench. Did you buy the extrusions and cut your own or did you get the 80/20 folks to configure it for you?
    I had and still have an idea to construct my own bench similar to yours. Thanks.

Hey Mike, thanks for the compliment. I designed the bench myself. I worked out various dimensions, gussets and other connecting hardware and created the order on 8020.net. They have several documents to read for different connection types, options, etc. It is totally overbuilt but I’ve never had something this solid and flat. You can push as hard as you can on the corner or sides and it will not move, shake or twist AT ALL.

I used 15 series lite and standard types for all extrusions. Mainly 1545 for the top deck and 1530 for the bottom. The 15 series is great as it can accept any of the Festool type clamps, Kreg and a host of others directly attached. And it’s super strong.

Nice adds Michael. The lift is great.

Jim I printed a bunch of those plugs with ujk style chamfer on them. I still have to glue a piece of metal in each to magnetize. I have been sebating on adding magnets instead so anything will be a removal tool

If you have a printer, than making your own makes a whole lot of sense. Can I assume you can put a pause in the file to be able to insert the metal or magnet before going on to completion on the piece(s)? I can see a lot of value in having a printer just for shop goodies!
    --

That's pretty cool George! I would personally just use metal. I think it would drive me nuts having a wrench or screwdriver I set down on my bench pull up the dog-cover. Plus, screws or metal filings getting attracted to the covers and me having to "clean" them off would be a pain. I just have a magnet on my toolbox nearby.