Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Sale: Woodworking Equipment and Materials

For Sale: Woodworking Equipment and Materials

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	520432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	520433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	520434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	520435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	520436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	520437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	520438

Hello everyone. I am here to help my brother sell his woodworking shop equipment. Many items you won’t be able to find anywhere else. These well-loved items have been immaculately maintained, as you will be able to see clearly in the photos. Here’s what’s included:

• Exotic Woods: A collection of beautiful woods.
    • Band Saw: Delta 6” riser, rolling stand, dozen blades to go with it (6 carbide, 6 regular), throat 13”.
    • 1963 Craftsman Table Saw: Better than new – made of wood, not plastic. Single stand, fence is square.
    • Miller Welder: MIG welder.
    • Sander: Single stand 20” disc, 220 volts.
    • 40-Gallon Air Compressor: Quincy.
    • Mill: Wisconsin mill, automatic feed, comes with everything you need – too many to list.
    • Old Chrysler Router Table: Pin, 6 extra routers with cutters.
    • Vacuum Chambers: Cast iron with new motors, use for silicone molds and other uses, dual pumps, 7 cfms, one of the chambers is heated.
    • Assorted Air Tools: Dozens, too many to list, he has them all.
    • Clamps: Four heavy duty bar clamps.

This complete package is priced at $10,000, which anyone who knows this stuff knows is a steal considering the individual value of each item. I will be happy to forward any questions to my brother. This shop has been his pride and joy.

Thank you for reading. Also, the shop is located in southeastern Michigan. A suburb just east of Detroit.

Mary

P.S. It looks like my photos are too big to upload. I'm going to have to mess around with them to make them smaller and then I will update this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	207.5 KB 
ID:	520439  
    Last edited by Mary Andre; 05-27-2024 at 1:01 PM. Reason: Attached photos, I could not add all of them.

Hi Mary. I hope you get the photos figured out.
    The location of the items will be of interest. I understand the desire to sell as a lot, but item by item pricing might also be a good idea.
    Best of luck with this !!
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Thanks, James! I hear what you're saying. My brother's selling as a lot because of a family health issue and attempting to sell separately would cause too much stress. So I'm trying to help him.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	207.5 KB 
ID:	520444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	520445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	520446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	520447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	520448

Quote Originally Posted by James Tibbetts View Post
    The location of the items will be of interest!
    Mary, maybe I missed it, but please tell us where is this shop located? (City and State should help both you and us. )
    Thanks.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My apologies, I did forget to add that important detail! It's southeastern Michigan.

What kinds of wood and how much?

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Hi Richard, the wood is not being sold separately. Everything is being sold together as a package. If that changes, I will post to this thread.

I'm guessing Richard was asking what species are included and the amount,(board feet-sizes), of each.
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Oh shoot, if that's the case I will have to ask my brother.

I started buying at auctions, close-outs, and estate sales at 10 years old, and that was over a decade more than a half century ago.
    You might get the total you are asking if there is a lot of actually rare wood in large pieces.

But the machines shown are not adding up to a high figure in most markets except maybe California.
    There are pieces that appeal to the low end of the market, and some to the moderately high end. Some to woodworkers but not metalworkers, and vice-versa. Then some oddball stuff thrown in that could be valuable, but only to a rare few people. Some is inaccurately described, but that is ok because a person that wants it can ID from the photos. Good photos are in your favor.

You should add some details, such as HP for the compressor (tank size means nothing) & whether the compressor, Tree milling machine, or other equipment is 3 phase.
    Quincy is a very desirable/higher end pump, however to value it a buyer needs the model # or cfm rating. Just the details of the type oiling system it was equipped with make a large difference it cost.

Tell what taper the mill spindle is (Tree came with several variations, most not desirable, but some even less desirable, so to speak)
    Then list the tooling with the mill. Most won't add a lot of value, but just for instance, if there is an actual Tree taper boring head with it, the boring head might be worth more than the mill.
    You can list the spindle stroke and X, Y, Z travels for the mill, or you can post the model # so people can look it up. Verify which axes have power, and whether the rapids work. etc.
    The Angloc vise is worth money if it is a real Kurt Ang-loc or other high end brand. If it is a clone, it makes the mill more saleable with that style vise but does not increase value much.

There are people who still like cast iron surface plates, but often they expect to be paid to take them off your hands. Max value is around the scrap weight of the cast iron minus the cost to haul it.
    Cool to see one that big still in a shop. (Plenty of much larger granite surface plates, but not so many CI in that size)

It's scary to itemize individual items, because when you search the market or analyze each piece individually, it is easy to see how much it cost new.....as well as begin to understand what fraction of that price the market will support to sell it on.

I wish you and your brother the best of luck with the sale, but unfortunately the typical rule for optimizing cash sales is to do more work, and optimize the value of each piece toward the person most likely to need it. IOW, sell major machines and tooling individually, and perhaps group some items in well presented lots. You may prove the exception, but the guy who will spent $10,000 to clear out a shop expects to be able to re-sell it in pieces for about $30,000 or more considering the effort, storage, and time to do so. Or they want a different mix of equipment & a larger mark-down for the money spent.
    Last edited by stephen thomas; 05-28-2024 at 11:16 PM.

I'd be potentially interested in some items if you decide to part out, but I'd like to offer a bit of advice having been buying and selling online since eBay was the hot new thing.

I can't recall a single instance of someone who used the phrase "too much to list" actually sellingmuch of anything.You will have an incredibly hard time getting someone to offer you $10,000 sight unseen.

If you truly don't want to itemize everything, that's OK- but you'll need to at least post some pictures. "Mill comes with lots of tooling" could mean it has thousands of dollars worth of tooling, or it could mean a couple hundred dollars worth.

My advice, post some pictures of the tooling, the wood, model numbers (nameplates are fine) for each item, and get ready to answer specific questions. Once people have a bunch of pictures to look at they'll at least know if you have what they're looking for.

I'd also recommend you try breaking it down into smaller lots. There will be dozens of people interested in the mill and tooling. A different dozen people will want the air compressor. There will be hundreds interested in the wood. There will be, maybe, one person interested in EVERYTHING you have. Just saying it's not "itemize everything vs. sell as a lot"- you could break it into, say, 5 lots (air compressor + associated tooling, mill + associated tooling, wood pile, welder + accessories, and woodworking tools). Yes it's more of a pain, but I think you guys will do better selling that way.

Anyway, enough of my soapbox- I wish you the best, it's always a pain to liquidate everything. And definitely let us know if you decide to break things down! Michigan isn't that far away

Some more "fer examples"
    A jumbled drawer of rotary airtools with no listing of each is probably worth about $250 at auction if there are some car guys/body and fender amateurs, or similar.
    However, there seems to be some hint that your brother might have been a die/mould/light pattern maker. If there is one good recip detail mould tool in that drawer like, say an Engis with tooling (not a clone) some people might bid that alone up to $250. We can't really see if you have gold, or just quite a bit of moderately useful aluminum that most people interested in the work they do already have one or a half dozen of.

Thank you so much for your feedback. Much appreciated!

Thank you, Bert. I knew it would be difficult, but I'm just trying to help my brother out if possible. And no one would expect anyone to offer any $$ sight unseen! That would be insane. I'll definitely share your message with him, and I'll try to post more details. I agree with you about the lots, but that just isn't possible right now due to family health considerations. As of right now, we have to live with: if it sells, it sells, if it doesn't, it doesn't, but it would be cool if it did.