Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Left lane

From NW Ohio heading NB into MI on I-75, the #2&3 lanes are terrible for the first 15 miles. The #3 lane has places where the pavement drops away 2-3" without warning except you see the tell-tale black marks on the next piece of pavement (normal height). The #2 lane has a mild version of the same issue and is constantly up and down (it feels like you are riding a bucking horse in any car with a somewhat firm suspension). In this stretch I will often run the #1 lane as long as I don't have anyone behind me.

There have been stretches of I-80 in the west in the past where the right lane is so rough that I switched to driving in the left lane. Thankfully, those stretches seem to have been repaved.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    There have been stretches of I-80 in the west in the past where the right lane is so rough that I switched to driving in the left lane. Thankfully, those stretches seem to have been repaved.
    I-80 in Pennsylvania was reputed to have the same issue some years ago. I haven't heard anything about it lately so maybe it was fixed or maybe people just got tired of complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I-80 in Pennsylvania was reputed to have the same issue some years ago. I haven't heard anything about it lately so maybe it was fixed or maybe people just got tired of complaining.
    It was horrible in the late 1970s when I needed to travel it back and forth to/from Penn State. I suspect it was "fixed" at least once since then but since it's a non-toll highway, it gets a lot less tender loving care than the PA Turnpike (I276/I476/I76) which is an absolute pleasure to drive on.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Returning from Florida to Michigan with my motorhome, I need to drive in the left lane of US 23 north of Toledo due to miles of bad concrete joint repairs in the right lane. It just rattles my teeth. Sorry that you have to pass me on the right.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Returning from Florida to Michigan with my motorhome, I need to drive in the left lane of US 23 north of Toledo due to miles of bad concrete joint repairs in the right lane. It just rattles my teeth. Sorry that you have to pass me on the right.
    Great idea for a bumper sticker, "If they would repair the right lane, I wouldn't be in the left."

There is a similar situation in my area where the right lane has access covers, for undergound infrastructure, and it is a bit rough driving that lane. To avoid them one has to get too close for comfort to the left lane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Great idea for a bumper sticker, "If they would repair the right lane, I wouldn't be in the left."

There is a similar situation in my area where the right lane has access covers, for undergound infrastructure, and it is a bit rough driving that lane. To avoid them one has to get too close for comfort to the left lane.

jtk
    That is a great idea. I think I'll make that bumper sticker.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It was horrible in the late 1970s when I needed to travel it back and forth to/from Penn State. I suspect it was "fixed" at least once since then but since it's a non-toll highway, it gets a lot less tender loving care than the PA Turnpike (I276/I476/I76) which is an absolute pleasure to drive on.
    It was the other way near where I used to live north of Syracuse. I-81 was free and was much smoother than I-90, which was a toll road.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    It was the other way near where I used to live north of Syracuse. I-81 was free and was much smoother than I-90, which was a toll road.
    I-81 between I-80 and Scranton "back in the day" was pretty nasty, too, based on my (likely feeble) memory.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    That is a great idea. I think I'll make that bumper sticker.
    One I've thought of printing up >

Don't expect me to go fast while you're riding my Silhoette of an Ass.png

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

These are the reasons why road rage incidents happen. I try to practice patience, but some of these bozos make me wish I was driving a tank and could push them off to the side of the road.

California has something like 10% of the us population. So 10% of us drivers. Lots of movies get made here. Do you people from other states watch movies and complain about all the Californians driving legally in the number one lane. Does it seem weird to you. Like watching British movies where they drive on the wrong side?
    Bill D

My nephew lived in new Zealand for about two years out of college. He said it was not too hard to drive on the left. He did say the roundabouts were extra confusing.
    Bill D