Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New GE Microwave Over the Stove 15 Inch Cupboard

New GE Microwave Over the Stove 15 Inch Cupboard

So our old microwave a GE bit the dust, was perhaps 20 years old. Purchased a new one and instructions said needs to be 13 inch deep cupboard at the most, and duh the door now hits. Never did on the old as it was a different door design. GE wants $75, Home Depot $130 eBay $75 but with free shipping. BUT the kit puts the MW way out past the front of the cupboard, like maybe 3 inches... ugh.

Now thinking of just 3/4 inch thick plywood behind would give enough clearance and still look ok.. Anybody had the same issue??
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-27-2024 at 10:13 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Not understanding your issue, perhaps a picture or sketch would help.

Stove 30 inches wide, over the stove 30 inch wide microwave, 15 inch deep cupboards. Microwave limited to 13 inch deep cupboards. Microwave door partly hitting on hinge side when opening. Perhaps you have never seen a MW mounted over the stove? Needs spaced out further.

IMG_1604.jpg
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-26-2024 at 3:00 PM.

I would just mount it to 3/4" plywood if that makes it work. You can still run screws or lag bolts through the plywood into studs.

Assume this is a wall mounted unit which bolts or screws to the back wall so I think Brian's idea makes sense but sounds like you need to come out 2" so maybe strap the wall horizontally with some 2 x 4 material laid flat plus 1/2" plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I would just mount it to 3/4" plywood if that makes it work. You can still run screws or lag bolts through the plywood into studs.
    Thanks Brian did you have the same issue? I have no problems taking it down and adding some 3/4 inch just wondering if that is what you did and it gave enough clearance? Its to heavy to be doing a lot of trial and error.

Mine is the older style (it's nearly 30 years old at this point), so the door wasn't an issue when I re-did my kitchen awhile back.

But it looked truly stupid recessed that extra distance. I did the plywood thing, two layers of 3/4", worked fine.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Mine is the older style (it's nearly 30 years old at this point), so the door wasn't an issue when I re-did my kitchen awhile back.

But it looked truly stupid recessed that extra distance. I did the plywood thing, two layers of 3/4", worked fine.
    Thanks Lee yeah the old one worked fine, like yours the door was not an issue, this new one threw me for a loop. New Samsungs say 12 inch depth is what theirs spec at, I wanted to hear
    from someone who knew, and you did!!

I recently yanked out the microwave over my stove. I really can't stand that set up. The microwave is right in my face when I'm trying to cook. The "light" below the microwave is typically about 1 candle power. The "vent" built into the microwave typically just blows the smoke back into the kitchen. Even when vented outside, the puny, built-in fan is pretty much useless.

I replaced the microwave with an extremely power range hood vented out the the the great outdoors. WOW, is that better!

I rarely use a microwave, so I bought a very small example and put in on a small stand in my kitchen. Works great.

That's my take, anyway.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 05-26-2024 at 11:39 PM.

If I understand what you are asking, any spacer that will keep it from being pushed back will be fine. I had a scrap of wood behind mine in a previous house for years. New size micro, new scrap as needed, but don't block air flow.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

We use our microwave All the time. The light under the new one is very good and has a low setting. The new exhaust blows out of the top near the door and it has a charcoal filter.

I was hoping someone like Lee or Rick would reply who has faced the same problem. The GE solution would have stuck it right out in your face. Just fair warning for those doing a kitchen remodel or MW replacement your in for perhaps the same issue.

BTW thank you fellow Veterans for your service, I never got in combat I was just an Air Force guy working on the B-52s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    We use our microwave All the time. The light under the new one is very good and has a low setting. The new exhaust blows out of the top near the door and it has a charcoal filter.

I was hoping someone like Lee or Rick would reply who has faced the same problem. The GE solution would have stuck it right out in your face. Just fair warning for those doing a kitchen remodel or MW replacement your in for perhaps the same issue.

BTW thank you fellow Veterans for your service, I never got in combat I was just an Air Force guy working on the B-52s.
    I'm glad to hear you are happy with your microwave. Sounds like moving out away from the wall would solve the problem.

As a polite reminder, today is for those who have fallen in combat. We can thank our fellow veterans on Veteran's Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I recently yanked out the microwave over my stove. I really can't stand that set up. The microwave is right in my face when I'm trying to cook. The "light" below the microwave is typically about 1 candle power. The "vent" built into the microwave typically just blows the smoke back into the kitchen. Even when vented outside, the puny, built-in fan is pretty much useless.

I replaced the microwave with an extremely power range hood vented out the the the great outdoors. WOW, is that better!

I rarely use a microwave, so I bought a very small example and put in on a small stand in my kitchen. Works great.

That's my take, anyway.
    I did the same here at this property when I installed my induction range. I've never been a fan of an "over stove" microwave for the same reasons you stated. That said, for some folks, it's a matter of space or a choice that was made before they came along to the home.

-----

Bill, historically, kitchen uppers have mostly been in the 12" range and that's still what you'll see in most non-custom kitchens; hence, the manufacturer caters to that as their default. I built 14" deep cabinets for the kitchen in our previous property when I renovated it in 2003. Here, we're back to "off the shelf" cabinets that were installed by previous owners and, well...12" is it. I see no issue with you putting a plywood box behind the over-stove microwave as long as you secure it well to the wall so it can handle the weight and hopefully have a way of driving a few fasteners laterally into the cabinets to complete that support. I suggest you take great care in finishing that plywood box because it's going to be subject to steam and grease.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Our old cupboards were 15 inch (14 1/2) and that is what we replaced with. A 12 inch would never hold all the stuff we have, and bending over to reach the ones below was not an attractive option. GE knows that 15 inch exist so they offered that overkill high priced Bump out kit.
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-27-2024 at 9:55 AM.

Did not get your issue.