Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions regarding the Felder BF631

I will take photos tomorrow (Australia) to illustrate the shaper trunnion mount. Looking into the chassis you can see the two bolts that should provide adjustment of the spindle to vertical. At least it appears that way. If so, they would only be a factory adjustment mechanism-not something that would be a user adjustment normally.

I am right in the middle of a shaper set-up so my scope for detailed pictures may be limited.

Also…check ebay for that switch…might be available for cheap. Something else to consider…Felder single phase machines are a bit notorious for blowing start/run capacitors. I suspect that you might hear some humming though if that was the problem with the non-running motors. Plus it would be bad luck to have two dud motors concurrently. But I would check the switch carefully before ordering a replacement.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg Quenneville; 05-24-2024 at 9:13 AM.

greg- you are the first one to confirm that in fact the shaper does move side to side! I never suggested that a user would move the spindle out of vertical, just that mine was out of vertical
    for some unknown reason. The original owner, who gifted it in this condition to his grandson, while alive, is not particularly helpful in solving these problems....

Nothing on ebay at this time....

The two other motors make no sound when they are selected. I am going to inspect the machine next Wednesday (for the third time) with an electrician that deals with motors and controls as his full time job.
    But prior to that I am trying to understand the following:
    Is power delivered straight to the motors after leaving the 5 position switch or is there another electro/mechanical "contact" between switch and motor? If there is nothing else on the circuit, then it is either
    the switch or the motor, which I too doubt as the issue. If on the other hand there is another device on the circuit- a safety switch for example, then the problem solving must include finding that device and testing it as well.

You mention a capacitor and others have mentioned some sort of interlock- Can you expand upon that for me?

Is there a way to contact a specific member from a previous post? When I click on a name I do
    not see a way to send to contact the member...

Steven the electrical schematic should be found inside the electrical compartment on the lower right side of the front of the machine (looking toward the switch). There were several different electrical options, but all will have a contactor between the switch and the motor. There will be an e-stop circuit, but a standard, unmodified machine should isolate every motor if any e-stop button or guard switch is in play.

The interlock mentioned is the one that the sliding cover behind the slider engages when fully closed. There may also be one on the thicknesser dust hood. NOTE: some machines don’t have those interlocks, but probably every USA machine does.

The capacitors I mentioned are the standard start and run capacitors that single phase motors use. I know some Felder owners find those capacitors fail more often than you’d expect, but I didn’t pay attention to how involved it is to replace them.

I also have a 1992 BF6-26 in 240v single phase which I can probably photograph for you if need be.

You need to pay the 6 bucks to get access to photos and member emails.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg Quenneville; 05-25-2024 at 4:00 AM.

greg- I have the electrical schematic from the Felder Operating Manual.

Your info is very helpful to me and will be shared with the electrician who is coming to the sellers place of business with me.
    So in addition to checking the switch for the source of the problem, we will have to inspect the contactors AND the interlock switch.

But does the fact that neither the saw motor nor the shaper motor turn on lead you to a specific failure? I wonder if a failure at the interlock
    would be designed to not allow the shaper to turn on? In your understanding of the machine, is there any specific item that links these
    two motors together?
    6$ paid! thanks for the tip

Hi Steven, yes the saw and shaper use the blade access door interlock to inhibit saw and shaper motor as that’s how you access the saw blade or shaper pulleys.

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by steven sivak View Post
    Is there a way to contact a specific member from a previous post? When I click on a name I do
    not see a way to send to contact the member...
    If they are a Contributor and still active, clicking on their name should provide an opportunity to send a private message. If they are just a Member, they do not have private messaging. Additionally, people come and go so looking at someone's profile to see when they last accessed the forum is a good idea.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well then that certainly is the culprit! I say that because one of the issues or characteristics of this machine
    is that I believe that the guard is made of at least two sliding panels and one appears to be missing. I could be
    wrong in saying this machine is missing one of the panels, but the one that is there does not slide out of the
    way of the saw blade. Remember, I know nothing about these machines and the seller, who is the grandson of the owner,
    knows very little as well. Blind leading the blinder....
    I can't believe that it has taken me this long to have someone tell me that these two motors are linked by an interlock switch!

Blog Entries
    The shaper does tilt, but it tips toward the front of the machine (across the sliding table). Here's a link to the manual for the machine.

https://groups.io/g/felderownersgrou...ing_manual.pdf

Blog Entries
    and the wiring diagram for a BF7 -- it may be the same as the bf6...

https://groups.io/g/felderownersgrou...ng_diagram.pdf

Mike I am sorry to say that while it does tilt fore and aft, it also moves left to right- see post no. 2.
    No need for the BF7 diagram as the document you linked to in #10 has the diagram for the BF6 machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven sivak View Post
    Mike I am sorry to say that while it does tilt fore and aft, it also moves left to right- see post no. 2.
    No need for the BF7 diagram as the document you linked to in #10 has the diagram for the BF6 machine.
    If it moves left and right it's either broken or partially disassembled. It's a standard trunion type mount, thr same as you would find on any tilting shaper or cabinet saw.

its not broken but the two nuts need to be readjusted to bring it to a vertical position- like I said above- read post no. 2