Thread: Stolen Tools

Stolen Tools

https://wtop.com/howard-county/2024/...-in-howard-co/

This is the second story like this I've seen in the last month.

There should be an 11th commandment.

Thou shalt not touch another mans tools!

Had it happen on site several times in the business. Once was a 28' tool trailer with a shop set up inside. Got the trailer back, empty. Insurance on site tools is too high so you take a chance.

This is the other story I read, it is a world wide issue.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/clke1w102yno

In the early 80’s I was a Mech contractor. My primary tool box was stolen out of my vehicle. You don’t steal a cowboys horse, or else. You don’t steal a man’s tools.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    This is the other story I read, it is a world wide issue.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/clke1w102yno
    Interesting these thieves were caught because one tool owner had the foresight to install a tracking device on a tool that was stolen.

Back when my tools were more mobile my drivers license number was etched on to them.

Many years ago I lived in the Berkeley, CA hills. One day there was a handsaw laying by the side of the street. I thought I had found myself another tool (many a tool has been found by the side of the road). When it was turned over, it had a CADL# etched on it. I called the local police and gave them the number and my phone number and the saw soon made its way home.

If tools are recovered from a theft ring, that may be the only way police can find an owner.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When I was a lad some dirtbag stole my Dad's toolbox out of the family station wagon while it was in a parking structure. It was a really nice set of Craftsman mechanic's tools. He had a complete accounting of what was taken for the insurance guy and was ready to take a beating on the depreciation. He was surprised when they told him that because Craftsman tools had an unconditional lifetime replacement warranty, they would cover replacement value for the whole kit.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Not had stuff stolen but hate working on site. Did work for a past customer in a very large factory and distance from the shop to where i was working was far, up and down and the shop way was to keep airborne dust down made me crazy. I misplaced tools there, not stolen but found them all. Insurance quoted past on shop machines and tools based on all staying in the shop was insane.

Years ago my wife's Garmin GPS was stolen out of her car. Several years later we got a call from the RCMP saying they found it and we could come and claim it. How did they know it was her's? They recovered it in a raid on a drug operation, held it for a year as evidence in a court case, then fired it up and searched for a home address, linked the address to us and called us. They say the Mounties always get their man.

I had my truck broken into 3 times and my trailer stolen from a job site. We got there late and were just going to lock it up and leave but decided to empty most of the tools before we went to eat and to the motel. Lucky we only left some junky tools and extre material in it

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Interesting these thieves were caught because one tool owner had the foresight to install a tracking device on a tool that was stolen.

Back when my tools were more mobile my drivers license number was etched on to them.

Many years ago I lived in the Berkeley, CA hills. One day there was a handsaw laying by the side of the street. I thought I had found myself another tool (many a tool has been found by the side of the road). When it was turned over, it had a CADL# etched on it. I called the local police and gave them the number and my phone number and the saw soon made its way home.

If tools are recovered from a theft ring, that may be the only way police can find an owner.

jtk
    I had a cop friend tell me the same thing. He said put your driver's license number on your tools - we can look up a driver's license number and get the tools back to you.

The other interesting thing he told me was that if they stopped a person with tools that might be stolen, they asked the person how to use them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Had mine stolen twice. Once on a job site with a locked storage unit. Thief knew exactly which unit to go to as there were several units locked. It meant it was someone on my job site. Second time, it was from truck in Lowes parking lot. Slow walked thief by myself. Went into pawn shops till I located part of my tools. Had a router that had a base plate made from a sign. For proof of ownership, I had rest to sign. Thief was caught and convicted, ordered to pay restitution, and commit no more crimes. Next day, he was convicted of stealing a generator, so there went my restitution. Once went into a pawn shop with a bunch of nice tools, which had owners phone # on them. Figuring that they were stolen, called him, To my surprise, he said he had sold them, as local judge told him if he could come up with $500 towards back child support by five PM, then he didn't need to bring his tooth brush to court with him next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I had a cop friend tell me the same thing. He said put your driver's license number on your tools - we can look up a driver's license number and get the tools back to you.

The other interesting thing he told me was that if they stopped a person with tools that might be stolen, they asked the person how to use them.

Mike
    You guys just live in Mayberry. My local police departments won't investigate auto thefts let alone stolen tools. Last week a bunch of people at a local apartment complex woke up to find their vehicles' windows had been smashed and anything inside was stolen. Although those people called the police mutliple times, multiple times the police told them they don't respond to property crimes and file a report on their web site. Welcome to the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    You guys just live in Mayberry. My local police departments won't investigate auto thefts let alone stolen tools. Last week a bunch of people at a local apartment complex woke up to find their vehicles' windows had been smashed and anything inside was stolen. Although those people called the police mutliple times, multiple times the police told them they don't respond to property crimes and file a report on their web site. Welcome to the 21st century.
    I think what my cop friend meant was that if they find tools as part of an investigation, and the tool has your driver's license number on it, they will call you.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Years ago my wife's Garmin GPS was stolen out of her car. Several years later we got a call from the RCMP saying they found it and we could come and claim it. How did they know it was her's? They recovered it in a raid on a drug operation, held it for a year as evidence in a court case, then fired it up and searched for a home address, linked the address to us and called us. They say the Mounties always get their man.
    I'm vaguely surprised they didn't crank it up when they found it to see where the perps had been.
    Then shown up at your door with sniffer dogs and SWAT.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike
    That's clever. Not violating any 'rights' or anything that could be challenged in court.