Thread: Building code for shop in California?

Building code for shop in California?

I’m looking at building a 200 square foot shop on a 2 acre lot in Kern County near Lake Isabella. I need to get a building permit for anything over 120 square feet. My plan would be to make an unheated building without electricity and call it an accessory building.

My question: does needing a permit mean everything has to be built fully to residential code, or can you get a permit for an accessory “storage shed” with plans you draw up yourself and get it approved as long as it is reasonably designed and built?

If you need to meet code, is there a good reference/summary for someone who can build a shed but doesn’t work in the construction industry?

Primarily, I’m trying to figure out if this is reasonable to do myself, or if it will require hiring a builder.

Jurisdictions vary, but you should be able to get a permit with a simple plan & basic construction. Might need to show the location on a site map of the property.

It's not a residence, so code for that doesn't apply.

It's my understanding that an accessory building has to meet basic construction codes for your area but since this type of structure is not meant or allowed for habitation, that's all you need.
    If you run electric, you'll need permits/code for that. If you run plumbing ...
    Those type of things can be installed afterwards.

Mostly, from what I've read on the state site, is that you need to abide by the easements/setbacks and any neighborhood ordinances but that's about it.

I'm sure Kern county has a slightly different set of guidelines than Sacramento county but they should be too far apart.

The answers to your questions are absolutely jurisdiction specific. Also note that in some jurisdictions, sheds that are over the "tiny storage shed size threshold" (120 sq ft in your case) may or may not have wider setback requirements. Small sheds can often be closer to the property line that larger, permit required structures. The best thing you can do is introduce yourself to the folks that handle permitting in your jurisdiction, tell them what you want to do and ask for what requirements you must satisfy to accomplish the task.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks! I figured the best approach may be to just ask the building department. I’ll get in touch with them and see what they say.

I have done it several times in different jurisdictions, and have always found the building/planning departments to be helpful. Go in with a sketch of what you want, where you want it, and for what reason. A photo of the area is sometimes helpful.

Let them know you are self contracting for your own use, and that you want it to be done right. In my case, they have even helped me with design suggestions. One time, four years ago, I went in with a sketch, wanting to see if it was feasible to do a garage plus a spare bedroom, and came out with a permit and design advice.

PS: Stub in for any future plumbing and electrical.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-28-2024 at 12:49 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The answers to your questions are absolutely jurisdiction specific. Also note that in some jurisdictions, sheds that are over the "tiny storage shed size threshold" (120 sq ft in your case) may or may not have wider setback requirements. Small sheds can often be closer to the property line that larger, permit required structures. The best thing you can do is introduce yourself to the folks that handle permitting in your jurisdiction, tell them what you want to do and ask for what requirements you must satisfy to accomplish the task.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I have done it several times in different jurisdictions, and have always found the building/planning departments to be helpful. Go in with a sketch of what you want, where you want it, and for what reason. A photo of the area is sometimes helpful.

Let them know you are self contracting for your own use, and that you want it to be done right. In my case, they have even helped me with design suggestions. One time, four years ago, I went in with a sketch, wanting to see if it was feasible to do a garage plus a spare bedroom, and came out with a permit and design advice.

PS: Stub in for any future plumbing and electrical.
    This is sage advice. It's also important to tell them any future plans you might have about potential upgrades. I have always had good luck when dealing with building code departments and enforcement inspectors. I've even gotten some excellent money and time saving recommendations from them.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-28-2024 at 1:28 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Probably easy to deal with in a small town like that. Stub in water, electric under the foundation. I would run electric to the shop and at least install a used breaker panel and few outlets. Need 50 amps for welders. Slope and angle roof for solar panels. Only problems will be if there is any flooding possible or if you are disrupting winter creeks.
    If it is a shop add insulation at least in roof. Much easier while it is open. Use the foil faced plywood for roof deck. My utility will pay the difference between regular and foil faced. Makes a difference on 100+ degree days. Especially since you can not work at night in the shop.
    Ask insurance company about tying fire alarm from shop for discount. Need extra conduit for that.
    My brother bought garage plans online and used those. His rural city said build it and we will come out and see it later.

Put an I-beam in across the span for a chain hoist. Do it before the roof is in the way.
    Bill D

I just had a shop built in Southern California. I partnered with the builder to do a detached structure in my back yard. It is 990 sqft and is classified as a workshop on the docs. It has a flat floor vs. a garage that has a sloped floor. It has a full bathroom and a 200amp service. The city required full plans and engineering. They looked at the water service and drainage around the structure to the street.

The contractor stated that the city was really fair, helpful and quick for inspections. They treated this as any other building from a structure perspective. It also had to match my homes look - Stucco, Concrete tile roof, Color, Stucco bump outs, along with sprinklers required if the main location had sprinklers. It would need more to be considered as an ADU, but it is 90% of the way there.

I am happy I did it this way. It is permitted and where I live will add value to my home overall.

Do it! Took longer than expected because of some outside forces, but not ridiculous and the outcome was fantastic.

PK

Thanks! I’m encouraged to hear all the good feedback about building departments. It’ll be a busy few weeks for me, so I’m putting this research on hold for a week or two, but I’ll report back when I talk to the county.