Thread: bread slicing tip

bread slicing tip

Very off topic. I was trying to slice some fancy hard crust bread this afternoon. I wanted some nice even slices to go into the toaster. Trying the other day the knife got deflected by hard spots on the crust and skips around yielding uneven thicknesses. So I turned it upside down and got much nicer cuts with no deflection. I actually figured this out the other day when trying to slice some smoked cheese that had developed a hard rind on top.
    I suppose this might help in machining areas with HAZ from welding.
    Bill D

Sometimes it helps to cut it on its side instead of on the top or bottom.

I know a good serrated blade, like the one on my Spyderco kitchen knife is worth its weight in gold for slicing bread.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I bake my own bread and like even slices. So I made a 3 sided wooden holder with a a slot for the knife near the end of both sides. Then just advance the bread to your desired thickness and cut with your serrated knife. You can buy these on Amazon but hey, we're woodworkers.

I worked in a large commercial bakery as a maintenance electrician during summer jobs.

We cut bread with a bandsaw, each blade looped around twice so it cut two slices, IIRC it took 10 blades.

The bread would come out with all the slices standing up, and go to the bagger.

Maybe a jig for the shop bandsaw would be perfect.

Regards, Rod