Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Left lane

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Must be the "New Math".
    PS, New Math was introduced 60 years ago, if you remember when it was introduced you're officially olde.
    And bonus points if you remember the acronym 'SMSG', and the monospaced type and hand-drawn graphs of the photo-copied books.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    And bonus points if you remember the acronym 'SMSG', and the monospaced type and hand-drawn graphs of the photo-copied books.
    No bonus points for me, I do remember SSDD

All I remember is FUBAR
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

No bonus points for me, I do remember SSDD
    SMSG was "School Mathematics Study Group", also translated as "Some Math, Some Garbage" . Their "beta test" textbooks (pre-desktop-publishing obviously) were delightfully primitive. I recall them from sophomore/junior years of high school (1965-1966).

There was a similar thing for physics class (PSSG, Physical Sciences Study Group, maybe?).
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    All I remember is FUBAR
    AKA dodgeball in gym class when it rained.

Must be the "New Math".
    PS, New Math was introduced 60 years ago, if you remember when it was introduced you're officially olde.
    Tom Lehrer and the New Math

Last edited by Patty Hann; 05-25-2024 at 3:51 AM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Must be the "New Math".
    The "new math" you refer to was replaced long ago by teaching methodologies like "EveryDay Math" and similar which are totally incomprehensible by parents...ie adults. "New Math" back in the day, was simple compared to the present.

-----
    On the original subject, there certainly are a lot of drivers that like to "own" the left lane. I do try to stay within the spirit of "drive right, pass left" but there are certain sections of local highways that are four lane, but not limited access, where it's safer to be in the left lane and moving along during high traffic times because of the frequent and sudden actions of folks in the right lane who abruptly decide to brake hard and turn off without signalling.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The "new math" you refer to was replaced long ago by teaching methodologies like "EveryDay Math" and similar which are totally incomprehensible by parents...ie adults. "New Math" back in the day, was simple compared to the present.

-----
    On the original subject, there certainly are a lot of drivers that like to "own" the left lane. I do try to stay within the spirit of "drive right, pass left" but there are certain sections of local highways that are four lane, but not limited access, where it's safer to be in the left lane and moving along during high traffic times because of the frequent and sudden actions of folks in the right lane who abruptly decide to brake hard and turn off without signalling.
    How about cars that about 1/2 way through a left turn decide to turn their left turn signal on? I see that fairly often and in my experience is most common in S.E. Pennsylvania. I haven't driven a lot in other parts of the country so maybe it's more common than I think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Certainly the world can be divided into two groups:
    - Inferior drivers.
    - Superior drivers.

Isn’t it wonderful that only the superior group is here?
    I suspect that many of the creekers are left laners but don't want to admit it. Giving the benefit of doubt, I suspect many are just "more comfortable" in the left lane and are many are totally unaware that traffic is stacking up behind them. I really wish some would respond as in my original post, I really would like to know their motivation for camping out in the left lane, as it is not just a small minority of drivers.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Thankfully, I quit before "cellphone zombies" became a thing. Partly a case of, I was getting slower, but the bike wasn't.

And it's reached the point around here that it would just take too long to get anywhere that's actually fun to ride. (Or drive a quick car, for that matter.)
    I get it, I am on my 4th "Last Bike". I live in a rural area, would not ride if I was in an urban area either. Was in Chicago last week and when I saw guys riding in that mess I just cringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

-----
    I was asked to help my granddaughter with her math and I was surprised to see that the way they are teaching is the same methods that I came up with 40 years ago to handle solving problems in my head. Easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I suspect that many of the creekers are left laners but don't want to admit it. Giving the benefit of doubt, I suspect many are just "more comfortable" in the left lane and are many are totally unaware that traffic is stacking up behind them. I really wish some would respond as in my original post, I really would like to know their motivation for camping out in the left lane, as it is not just a small minority of drivers.
    HA! when I was young I lost my license seven times in three states. I was definitely a left laner, but maybe not in the way you alluded to.

I admit to often driving in the left lane but only when the traffic volume is high enough that all lanes are full. If I'm in the left lane and there is no one ahead of me, I move over as soon as I see someone on my tail and let them pass. Up here on the major highways, the left lane is often designated as a HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lane restricted to cars with two or more occupants, motorcycles or EVs. Are HOV lanes common where you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Tom Lehrer and the New Math

After seeing this, I ran across an article from the Guardian, three days ago, about Tom Lehrer. Amazingly, he's still alive at age 96, and still shuns fame, attention, money, etc... We loved his songs when we were at MIT. There's a play about him in London for the next several weeks. And I can still get through most of his song "The Elements", though more have been discovered since then.
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/ar...-for-obscurity
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    After seeing this, I ran across an article from the Guardian, three days ago, about Tom Lehrer. Amazingly, he's still alive at age 96, and still shuns fame, attention, money, etc... We loved his songs when we were at MIT. There's a play about him in London for the next several weeks. And I can still get through most of his song "The Elements", though more have been discovered since then.
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/ar...-for-obscurity
    I had forgotten about "The Elements"

For those interested....(And watch the whole thing... there is a coda)

Last edited by Patty Hann; 05-26-2024 at 4:39 AM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”