Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: California bans the SALE of gas lawn mowers and leaf blowers after 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post

(side note) unintended consequences of EV's. more tire wear, more brake wear and more road damage due to the increased weight of a comparable ICE car.

Quitting cold turkey and mandates, is not always the best approach. As many have said, we've already been transitioning to battery on our own, without any outside intervention.
    I bought a 2021 Chevy Bolt last month to replace my 2013 Subaru Outback, and while increased tire wear can be a factor, especially if you're a more aggressive driver, brake wear is actually less. I drive in one pedal mode where you step on the accelerator to go faster and step off it to slow down. The regenerative braking system uses the kinetic energy of the moving car to put some charge back in the battery. It's still advisable to use the brakes sometimes to keep them from getting rusty, but they are only regularly used in emergency stops, or to come to a full stop on a steep downhill. My new car is smaller than my old one, but not that much heavier.

I have a 24 HP diesel riding mower with a tier 4 final engine. It is about as large as you can these days without getting into DPF. (Not that I want a bigger engine.). I would look at electric if the style of mower I really like had an electric option. The manufacturer of my mower is not doing electric yet.

I have solar that produces 150% of my electricity needs. The excess electricity pays for the fees and I get about a $400 check every year for the utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    This is really boils down to someone thousands of miles away believing they know best for you.
    This has nothing to do with someone thousands of miles away believing they know what's best for you. It's the government doing their job. Looking at the science and passing legislation to reduce smog and protect the public. According to the law’s sponsors, SOREs pose serious health risks to the equipment operators, the surrounding neighborhoods, and the environment at large. Here’s why: These small engines emit high levels of particulate matter (PM), reactive organic gasses (ROG), and nitrogen oxides (NOx). This new legislation is part of the state’s strategy to lessen greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    If you require a lawn tractor to maintain your property, I find the price difference of $1700 a little bit more than a "relatively small inconvenience".
    Depends a bit on where you live. Around here, if you require a lawn tractor, you're talking about property in the multi-million dollar range, and you're probably not doing the maintenance yourself anyway.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Am I the only one surprised that this thread has hit triple-digits without getting locked?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Most cities have already banned noisy smelly mowers and blowers anyway. I hate them.

Most gardeners ignore the law.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Depends a bit on where you live. Around here, if you require a lawn tractor, you're talking about property in the multi-million dollar range, and you're probably not doing the maintenance yourself anyway.
    Yeah...big difference depending on where one lives. We're in 1,800 square feet on just under 2 acres, i'd estimate market value in the $230,000-$240,000 range. I cut about 1.5 acres. When we had our septic & drain field replaced last year i really wanted to sow wildflowers instead of grass--but if i did that we'd be be overrun with mulberry & wild cherry trees within a few years which would lead to roots clogging the septic/drain system. We are financially secure, but far from wealthy--and paying a lawn service company is beyond reach. (mildly related--just saw a news item a week or so ago that said the "average" home price in the state of California is now at $1,000,000...that would buy you 5,000 SF on 10 acres in our area. I could live in a much smaller house, but sure would like to have a bigger shop!!)

I saw one of the pro crews yesterday, so I asked the owner why he had switched to battery trimmers and blowers. He said, "Less trouble, less work, and quieter" I asked him if he was planning to buy cordless mowers. He said he was hoping somebody would make one he liked by the time the ones they were running now wore out, and that he hadn't really started looking at them yet.

I asked him about higher prices on equipment. He said inflation just meant more money flowing. He's paying his men more than they thought they'd ever make, and just charges more to more than make up for cost, and that people just expect to pay more. He was driving a truck new this year.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-25-2024 at 9:26 AM.

Here is another low maintenance option. This is one corner of the spot where our house is. The wild woods are just to the right of this. If you blow leaves off the ground under Oak trees here, moss will take over.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I’ve enjoyed this thread and have been pleased that comments have consistently been positive, as in not incendiary. A great deal of good information. Having downsized I am rid of the tractors, blowers, etc. I mowed my 20x20’ lawn with my SIL, electric mower. Took seven minutes. Exhausting! Fold the handle, pick it up with one hand into the back of the car and back home. I monitor my water bills closely. PO had leaks all over in the drip system. I’ve eliminated 1500 gal/mo of poor workmanship and I think there is more to be done.
    In April of ‘23 the PUC here in CA caved to PG&E and changed the payout/kwh produced on your own home. ON our place in the foothills I installed a 7.5 kw system and zeroed my electric bill. I was getting a small credit back annually as well. That was the Net Energy Metering II. On the NEMIII program residential solar only pays out at about a qtr of what it was on my system. IMO the PUC is giving the solar business in CA to the utilities. I guess the message is stay on top of your local PUC’s actions.
    We have one landscaper locally whose vehicles are claiming “All Electric”. I’ve sure that is good marketing. I was surprised to see how many people are pulling their lawns and installing fake grass, as in Astroturf or whatever it is called today.

Its interesting to observe the difference in opinion between urban and rural perspectives, and the lack of understanding of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    This has nothing to do with someone thousands of miles away believing they know what's best for you. It's the government doing their job. Looking at the science and passing legislation to reduce smog and protect the public. According to the law’s sponsors, SOREs pose serious health risks to the equipment operators, the surrounding neighborhoods, and the environment at large. Here’s why: These small engines emit high levels of particulate matter (PM), reactive organic gasses (ROG), and nitrogen oxides (NOx). This new legislation is part of the state’s strategy to lessen greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution.
    Actually it does. When you want to tell Tom what his lawn should look like and be from 3000 miles away and not even from this country it is exactly what it is. Going "natural" isn't the best fit for everyone even if it isn't being used for production of hay or being used as pasture. At this time he can still manage his property in a way that will be most beneficial to him. As can I mine.

I use an electric string trimmer, chain saw, and leaf blower. Maybe some day an electric zero turn as well. I won't get one just for the sake of getting one though. I know that my mower could also last as long as I will need one as well. However at this time my mower has a electronic fuel injected engine that is probably as clean burning as can be expected in a small engine at this time. I ran the mower before this one 15 years. I've had this one 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Its interesting to observe the difference in opinion between urban and rural perspectives, and the lack of understanding of the same.
    I think you might have made a profound observation. I think the lack of understanding is a divide like the Grand Canyon for some. If you have a piece of property the short amount of time it can be taken over by unwanted brush and weeds is amazing. You can convert a front yard to a flower garden with whatever mixture of other shrubs and bushes you desire. If it's on any scale it will be a huge amount of work. Because believe it or not the weeds and native nuisance trees will still take over. Through being seed being scattered scattered by the wind and birds. They will crowd out what you planted and you have to be vigilant to keep them at bay. So a lawn that we mow is the easier less time consuming and expensive option.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Actually it does. When you want to tell Tom what his lawn should look like and be from 3000 miles away and not even from this country it is exactly what it is.
    (Side note: "3000 miles away" from anywhere in California is well outside the continental US, typically somewhere lawn maintenance is not an issue.)

We're discussing a California law that may or may not be a good idea, not something that hasn't happened in some state 3000 miles away. But if your state does something similar, it'll be because (1) not enough people there object to it, and/or (2) there are actually good reasons to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I bought a 2021 Chevy Bolt last month to replace my 2013 Subaru Outback, and while increased tire wear can be a factor, especially if you're a more aggressive driver, brake wear is actually less. I drive in one pedal mode where you step on the accelerator to go faster and step off it to slow down. The regenerative braking system uses the kinetic energy of the moving car to put some charge back in the battery. It's still advisable to use the brakes sometimes to keep them from getting rusty, but they are only regularly used in emergency stops, or to come to a full stop on a steep downhill. My new car is smaller than my old one, but not that much heavier.
    I stand corrected, thanks I did some more rading after your post.