Thread: Saw Stop with actual finger

Saw Stop with actual finger

I’ve seen dozens of hot dogs triggering Saw Stops. Ran across this on Imgur.com showing the real thing.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/that-will-be-1000-cOtVMXx
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

So he was doing the old, cut a circle on your table saw thing. Something that is iffy at best if you don't understand exactly what the entire process involves. But he was too stupid to understand you pull the sled all the way back before you rotate the circle. Clueless idiot.

When they post the number of yearly accidents table saws cause, do they adjust for this kind of idiocy?

This person should have his table saw taken away from him. He's not worthy.

Yup. The manufacturers sell stuff to people with no training, that shows how they get training.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    I’ve seen dozens of hot dogs triggering Saw Stops. Ran across this on Imgur.com showing the real thing.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/that-will-be-1000-cOtVMXx
    I saw it brake with a real finger situation.
    Was standing less than 3 ft away and watched this 70-something guy reach in to remove an off cut ... just reached straight into the blade. Moron. Imbecile.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    And why was the guy rotating the piece counter-clockwise? Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    I saw it brake with a real finger situation.
    Was standing less than 3 ft away and watched this 70-something guy reach in to remove an off cut ... just reached straight into the blade. Moron. Imbecile.
    Sure it was a dumb thing to do, but that's what happens a lot of the time. As I've said before, brains go to sleep and you cannot rely on being sharp saving your butt all the time. I see the SawStop similar to insurance, sure if I'm real careful, nothing goes wrong, etc. then I don't need it but that isn't life. We shouldn't need house insurance for cases of falling asleep while smoking on a couch or in bed, or a pan of oil left on the stove burner but we do.
    As I've also said before, over the years I've read a lot of posts that began with something like, "I've been doing this for over XX years without a problem but today I stupidly reached over the blade or ... and got injured."
    Yes, there is inadequate training on the use of shop equipment but I bet most of the people on this and similar sites started using TSs and the like without any formal training. Like a lot of things in life, we survive due to more luck than brains and learn along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    Sure it was a dumb thing to do, but that's what happens a lot of the time. As I've said before, brains go to sleep and you cannot rely on being sharp saving your butt all the time. I see the SawStop similar to insurance, sure if I'm real careful, nothing goes wrong, etc. then I don't need it but that isn't life. We shouldn't need house insurance for cases of falling asleep while smoking on a couch or in bed, or a pan of oil left on the stove burner but we do.
    As I've also said before, over the years I've read a lot of posts that began with something like, "I've been doing this for over XX years without a problem but today I stupidly reached over the blade or ... and got injured."
    Yes, there is inadequate training on the use of shop equipment but I bet most of the people on this and similar sites started using TSs and the like without any formal training. Like a lot of things in life, we survive due to more luck than brains and learn along the way.
    I agree with the first few words, "Sure it was a dumb thing to do"

This guy should not be anywhere near a power tool.
    And I will say, after xx years of using a table saw, I've never done that.
    Yes a SS is cheap insurance but is not a substitute for the inadequate training. This moron could have just as easily launched that plywood disc into his head.
    (yes, you can cut a disc on a TS but a far safer option is a bandsaw)
    Stop defending the indefensible.

I look at my SawStop saw as insurance, also. I'm careful, but I'm also human and humans make mistakes (ask my wife!). For the extra one time cost at purchase, and the cost of a brake and blade if I make a mistake, it's well worth it. The cost of an ER visit is a lot more than the extra cost of the SawStop. Maybe even more than the cost of the whole saw.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

He is wearing dust protection………