Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Quality of Writing in the News Media is Dropping

I have to agree that so many people want bias confirmation rather than trying to digest a truth they don't understand or don't want to understand. It's sad to see our local papers retreating and eventually disappearing due decreasing readership as people chase that which confirms their preconceived ideas and biases.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'm also a holdout with paper copies. Yes, expensive, and some days it takes less than 10 minutes to read the whole thing. AI I think will improve writing since it can be programmed to follow the rules of grammar. But also twisted by whoever is programming it.

What I note is the failure of journalists to address the Who, What, Where & When, that was once taught to be the important part of reporting the news. TV news is even worse at that. All focus on the analysis and opinions, rather than the facts.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    There's something about the format of a newspaper that just doesn't translate to digital. If it's digital it ain't newsPAPER.
    Well, obviously that’s true Alan, however I won’t subscribe to a print paper because of the environmental costs.

I do have a digital subscription to The New York Times, and The Globe and Mail……Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I get the LA Times. It's expensive for home delivery but I like to read the newspaper over breakfast so I pay it.

Mike
    I used to do that also, (get a newsPAPER delivered) just for the pleasure of reading it over coffee, especially on Saturday and Sunday (when I was still working and weekends were for relaxing).
    The writing got worse and worse. Pretty soon every article, even on the front page, read like a op-ed.... No more news, just slanted reporting.
    I finally canceled it.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I get the LA Times. It's expensive for home delivery but I like to read the newspaper over breakfast so I pay it.
    I switched to their digital edition about two years ago. The cost was the main factor, plus the fact that the digital copy doesn't get wet.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

There's something about the format of a newspaper that just doesn't translate to digital. If it's digital it ain't newsPAPER.
    You mean the page jumos, the smeary ink, and the way it turns into a sponge on rainy days?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    It's only meaning expressed through language- no big deal.

Despite profitable operations corporate ownership has slashed newsroom payrolls around the country. The daily papers get thinner as local coverage dries up and "wire service" releases dominate the headlines. There's barely enough there to wrap the fish, and pursuing a career in journalism is a quixotic venture for all but the best and luckiest.

What to do? Support news outlets that actually pay for original reporting and read enough variety so you aren't just indulging in confirmation bias. TikTok , Xitter and Gannett are not going to do it for you.
    A significant reason for papers shrinking is lack of advertising $$. Meta (Facebook's parent company) and Google soak up a LOT of $$ that previously went to legacy media. I've noticed recently that the TV station I watch most often for news is starting to use independent 'reporters' rather than paid staff for local stories - mostly human interest stuff for now.

Years abd years ago, our local rag had something against the Cleveland Indians.
    An Indians pitcher could throw a no hitter - yet - the picture they posted on the cover of the sports section would show one of the Indians doing something stupid.
    Time after time this stuff would happen.

I finally got sick of it and cancelled my subscription - probably about 1988.

Other than buying the Sunday edition to find a job and the Black Friday edition for the ads, I haven't missed having a paper.
    I honestly believe the term "journalism" really didn't apply to the Akron Beacon Journal anymore. They had been reduced to nothing more than a political shill.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    You mean the page jumos, the smeary ink, and the way it turns into a sponge on rainy days?
    Rain in Anaheim? Maybe the carriers also feel that way. In most places where I've had home delivery the carriers would put the newspaper in a plastic bag to keep it dry.

My old time favorite newspaper was the San Francisco Chronicle. They had some great columnists. One of them even had a cultural phenomena named after him, "The Herb Caen fold." His column was a jumble of one or two sentence items about the goings in the San Francisco area. It ran on the left side of the first page in the want ad section. People reading it on public transit or while having coffee would fold over the paper to make it easier to hold. In many places where discarded newspapers would collect, it was always easy to spot the want ad section by the distinctive Herb Caen Fold. Back then, on weekdays, the paper had at least five distinctive sections; news, entertainment, sports, business, and want ads. Last time I saw one was in 2013 and it was down to two or three. Some of the sections had been shrunk and combined. Herb Caen passed away in 1997. Some of the other local columnists had also gone to the great newsroom in the sky.

The newspapers from days gone by were made up of personalities with whom the readers felt a connection. Today it is anonymous digits, human or electronic, throwing words on a screen.

Something has been forever lost in the daily telling of the life and lives around us.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Rain in Anaheim? Maybe the carriers also feel that way. In most places where I've had home delivery the carriers would put the newspaper in a plastic bag to keep it dry.
    Oh, they used bags, even on dry days. But the bags were made of a super-flimsy 0.5-mil film which had zero chance of surviving the landing on a rough concrete driveway when thrown from the curb. And they usually landed right at the drip line at the front of the garage. On wet days they would sometimes double-bag, but it really didn't help. (Did I mention the bags were flimsy?) Their website had a page to report a damaged paper. You could request (1) a new paper or (2) a credit on your account...and option 1 never worked.

Their website had a page to report a damaged paper. You could request (1) a new paper or (2) a credit on your account...and option 1 never worked.
    I had a situation where I asked for a new paper. Problem is that it wasn't delivered until the next day - I received two papers that day, yesterday and today's.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

It's the web site of a usually competent and reliable news organization, not a failing newspaper, but this was delightfully off-base. Today in a report about the Singapore Air flight that had a serious problem with turbulence the other day, BBC News said "Their preliminary report said rapid changes in gravitational force (G) caused the altitude drop..." They used the same unfortunate phrase about "Changes in gravitational force" in a graphic link to the page (below). Someone not so much into science fiction apparently saw it and it's been changed now.

GForce.jpg

It's the web site of a usually competent and reliable news organization, not a failing newspaper, but this was delightfully off-base. Today in a report about the Singapore Air flight that had a serious problem with turbulence the other day, BBC News said "Their preliminary report said rapid changes in gravitational force (G) caused the altitude drop..." They used the same unfortunate phrase about "Changes in gravitational force" in a graphic link to the page (below). Someone not so much into science fiction apparently saw it and it's been changed now.

GForce.jpg
    Not to mention the "dropped 178ft in five seconds" bit. That's roughly 2000ft/minute or what an airline pilot would consider normal descent rate.

Blog Entries
    Not to mention the "dropped 178ft in five seconds" bit. That's roughly 2000ft/minute or what an airline pilot would consider normal descent rate.
    The difference may be the five second drop was almost straight vertical, whereas a normal descent would be a controlled and gentler incline.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The difference may be the five second drop was almost straight vertical, whereas a normal descent would be a controlled and gentler incline.
    Yeah, sorry, this link is a bit clearer: https://time.com/6983049/singapore-a...tion-findings/
    (There was an initial vertical acceleration of about +1.4G, sending it up several hundred feet, followed by a shift to -1.5G as it started dropping and another shift to +1.5G when it bottomed out 4 seconds later. There was actually a net gain in altitude over the whole sequence.)